LF Ball on Hoops on Norm

• 10 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
LF Ball on Hoops on Norm
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
For those who don't know, LF Ball is a rec league coach and apparently a friend of some local coaches (and players).  He comments on St. John's today-

http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-new-year.html

Seems folks are very ready for Norm Roberts to step down at St. Johns. I wonder who those folks think they can get at this time? I do hope they realize that St. Johns is not the glamour job it was when Lou Carnessecca was the Head Coach. St. Johns did a great thing updating the facilities. Now it needs to have a little more patience with the basketball program. Nothing wrong with getting upset after a loss. But people need to do a real program assessment to see how long it will be for the St. Johns Program to regain semi elite status locally and nationally. I honestly feel the downfall was letting Fran go when they did. He had SJU on the right track. Crazy as it might seem, he might be a great choice to get them rolling again if they are decide to let Norm go after this season. Again I hope they realize that what made SJU so good in the past was the longevity of the coaching staff and the many relationships they developed with area HS and AAU coaches. These quick in and out stints continue to put SJU further behind.

I think he's right that it will take a few years to get this program back to "semi-elite" status... but not long to get it to "watchable".  And the return of Fran, besides something that won't happen, just doesn't seem like a good idea.  I don't even know how you'd bring him back after how he left.

Re: LF Ball on Hoops on Norm
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
When they finally let Norm go, I cannot see a big named coach being brought in. I see another supposed up and coming coach being hired. Nothing more than that. On a side note, some Louisville fans are calling for Pitinos head

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
When they finally let Norm go, I cannot see a big named coach being brought in. I see another supposed up and coming coach being hired. Nothing more than that. On a side note, some Louisville fans are calling for Pitinos head

There have been fans calling for his head since he got there.  It's hysterical.  I just don't get it.  They are pushing that guy out the door.  A coach of his stature deserves to be treated with respect and should not settle for that.

He came very close to taking the Providence job this year, but I really think he held out for the St. John's job.  Providence is the worst job in the Big East.  THe guy grew up right down the road from St. John's.  I think we have more of a shot than people think.

Allthough the difference between Pitino in Cal IMO is that Cal will gladly take other creative ways to make money, Pitino is going to want the cash. 

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:58:39 PM »

There have been fans calling for his head since he got there.  It's hysterical.  I just don't get it.  They are pushing that guy out the door.  A coach of his stature deserves to be treated with respect and should not settle for that.

He came very close to taking the Providence job this year, but I really think he held out for the St. John's job.  Providence is the worst job in the Big East.  THe guy grew up right down the road from St. John's.  I think we have more of a shot than people think.

Allthough the difference between Pitino in Cal IMO is that Cal will gladly take other creative ways to make money, Pitino is going to want the cash.
Maybe Fr Harrington can give him his own spot on the Board of Bear Stearns.

Oops. Fr Harrington already lost that position

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »

Maybe Fr Harrington can give him his own spot on the Board of Bear Stearns.

Oops. Fr Harrington already lost that position

Maybe one of those big donating alumns over at Applebys can get him a job application

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »

I don't get how people could be calling for his head either.  They'll be fine by the end of the year.

But I don't get how anyone thinks we even have a remote chance at getting Pitino.  You really think Pitino is holding out for the St. John's job?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »

Marillac... creative ways like gifts of Tax Liens???  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:58:01 PM by Johnny4Life »

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:26 PM »

LOL  You tax lien hater!  They have been very good to me. 

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
this guy's another blogger like the rest of us. 

i don't see us getting an elite coach as long as harrington is around.  still, we have to do better than norm.  the program is total garbage, right now. 

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

I hope they keep screaming and yelling...    maybe they can scream and yell enough for Pitino to tell them to go F off and come home to NYC....

Louisville is definitely struggling a little right now but they will be there at the end of th year.

Earl Clark is a stud and Samardo Samuels will only get better ats the year goes on.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 11:45:28 PM »

LOL  You tax lien hater!  They have been very good to me.

I'm not a tax lien hater. I am an licensed Investment Advisor by profession. Therefore, I just want a person to fully understand the pros and cons of the investment before diving in.

As the most famous investor (Warren Buffet) once said, "don't invest into anything you don't understand".