How we could bring in a big name coach

• 34 replies

Tha Kid

Re: How we could bring in a big name coach
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »
a restaurant?  why don't we hire bobby flay to coach?

the restaurant business is tough.  who says cal wants to own a restaurant?

Cal already owns a restaurant. 

LOL and Peter I wasn't suggesting the school buy him a restaurant!  Although that made me laugh my arse off.  I was only stating that I'm sure it would be of interest to start a restaurant in Manhattan.

I avoided posting in this thread before, but I have to say that I admire your blind loyalty to this administration. We can all hope and pray that you are right in what they might offer the next coach, whoever and whenever that is!

I am willing to commit that if Calipari (or any other coach) does in fact come to SJU and subsequently opens a new restaurant in the five boroughs, I will be the first to book my companie’s Holiday party there in support of said coach’s business ventures!

Interesting.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 09:18:27 AM »
At some point in peoples lives money is no longer a concern. If this admin could at the very least match the pay pitino or cal is receiving, they will come. These coaches do not need to proove themselves by any means. STJ simply cannot win with Norm. Not a fan of Pecora, Hewitt, Matt D, Miller. Although much better than Norm, this program needs a homerun coach.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:19:33 AM by buckeyestorm »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »
a restaurant?  why don't we hire bobby flay to coach?

the restaurant business is tough.  who says cal wants to own a restaurant?

Cal already owns a restaurant. 

LOL and Peter I wasn't suggesting the school buy him a restaurant!  Although that made me laugh my arse off.  I was only stating that I'm sure it would be of interest to start a restaurant in Manhattan.
That made my laugh my tail off too.  I was responding to Randomhero's idea that the school should pay rent on his restaurant, though.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »
How? Fire the the guy who's occupying the position.
Plenty of high level coaches would love to come to NY, and live in New York.

There's a reason why it costs 200 a month for an apartment in Memphis. It freakin sucks there.

I expect there to be plenty of interest. Ben Howland and Jamie Dison were able to make Pittsburgh seem like a good idea, and that a lousy school in a worse city.

I'm not saying John Calipari is coming home because Memphis sucks as a city, but there has got to be a number of coaches that would like to return to the capital in the world. Especially, a guy trapped in a rural, culture-free nightmare.

Something certainly not lacking in the high level college basketball scene.

What stands in there way is a pressure of coming here, and fixing problems quickly, and the volatile administration that has been known to fire a coach because he sent out his resume.

Given the positives and negatives of the SJU sale, I see a huge upside. As bad as we are now, NY still makes us the sleeping giant.
I really get the feeling that Corey Fishers of the NYC high school basketball scene are turning down Norm Roberts. Not SJU.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:23:00 AM by Poison »

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »

There's a reason why it costs 200 a month for an apartment in Memphis. It freakin sucks there.

I expect there to be plenty of interest. Ben Howland and Jamie Dison were able to make Pittsburgh seem like a good idea, and that a lousy school in a worse city.

I'm not saying John Calipari is coming home because Memphis sucks as a city, but there has got to be a number of coaches that would like to return to the capital in the world. Especially, a guy trapped in a rural, culture-free nightmare.
Jamaica, Queens is probably sexy to some people, but coming home for a guy from Moon River would be taking the Pitt job if and when Dixon opts for the Arizona job.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »

Jamaica, Queens is probably sexy to some people, but coming home for a guy from Moon River would be taking the Pitt job if and when Dixon opts for the Arizona job.

You sell SJU by selling NYC. Not Jamaica. Derek Jeter doesn't live in the south bronx.

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

You sell SJU by selling NYC. Not Jamaica. Derek Jeter doesn't live in the south bronx.

Norm shouldn't have to sell NYC to NYC kids.

If he could just a get a few of the top local kids the bitching about his recruiting wouldn't be nearly as loud as it is.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »

That's what you sell to 17 year old recruits.
No matter how you spin it, NYC is still not his home.

I doubt Harrington would allow him to set up another Memphis Mansion to attract recruits.

http://uofmtigers.blogspot.com/2007/07/sicoms-luke-winn-interview-with-joey.html

LW: Those old Laurinburg guys -- Anderson, Dozier and Kareem Cooper; do you live with any of them at Memphis?

JD: We actually have a house -- 11 bedrooms, all basketball players, so mostly everybody stays there.

LW: How did you find that place?

JD: It's an on-campus thing; Coach Cal did it. It's almost like a mansion. You can get lost in there. It's decked out, too; the living room's got 42-inch flat screens where we can watch game tapes, or review player personnel. Or we can go upstairs where there's a theater, and just watch movies

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
     Man would I love Cal to come to NYC and bring back college bball to this town. He would welcomed as a conquering hero day ONE. Recruits would be seeking us out and he would pay for himself in 1-2 years. That being said, I don't see this administration EVER spending big bucks to attract the top coach this team and this town deserve. I think this school plays it minor league when it comes to men's basketball. They are cheap and want to hire a no name or a guy with little experience in order to save a few bucks. I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell...

sjd8886

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
what i think is cal is sick of mowing through crappy teams in conference...i think pitino is sick of taking crap for every little thing he does wrong, no matter how good the team does...i think if mckillop is planning on coaching for anything more than another 5 years, he wants out of a mid major...i think a lot of coaches would like the opportunity to coach here...and for all the people who say a program is to a point where its lost and no one can bring it back, well, no offense but you're idiots

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
what i think is cal is sick of mowing through crappy teams in conference...i think pitino is sick of taking crap for every little thing he does wrong, no matter how good the team does...i think if mckillop is planning on coaching for anything more than another 5 years, he wants out of a mid major...i think a lot of coaches would like the opportunity to coach here...and for all the people who say a program is to a point where its lost and no one can bring it back, well, no offense but you're idiots

Excellent post.  Pitino really needs to leave Louisville.  He should be a borderline god there, but they don't give him 1/10000th of the respect he deserves.  He almost took the Providence job!  That might be the worst job in high major basketball besides Northwestern. 

I know he had ties there, but nothing like his NY ties. He was born and raised here and played ball in a Catholic school on the Island.  His wife is from NY and his whole family is here. 

Louisville is certainly a beautiful area, but take it from me as a guy that moved from NY to an hour south of Lousiville, you really start to miss home. 

As for Cal, Memphis is disgusting!  He beats up on lousy teams and then shakes hands with lousy coaches afterwards.   I think he'd jump at the chance to leave for the bright lights of NY. 

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
If Pitino ever came to Coach St Johns he'd be looked at as the savior of New York Basketball and would most likely be the most popular sports figure in town.

He'd OWN this town

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »
If Pitino ever came to Coach St Johns he'd be looked at as the savior of New York Basketball and would most likely be the most popular sports figure in town.

He'd OWN this town

That what they say up in Boston a few year back.

Not sayin he wouldnt do what he do, but something dont turn out the way evrybody want it to. Favre.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »

He'd OWN this town

That what they say up in Boston a few year back.

Not sayin he wouldnt do what he do, but something dont turn out the way evrybody want it to. Favre.

Choz, that's the NBA, where too many of the players are either not trying, on drugs, or simply dicks.

Succeeding at the college level is a far more impressive accomplishment, because any intelligent basketball fan knows that the NBA isn't real basketball. It's f'n garbage.

gonzalo

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
but there has got to be a number of coaches that would like to return to the capital in the world. Especially, a guy trapped in a rural, culture-free nightmare.

Names, please.