Importance of next 5 games

• 36 replies
Re: Importance of next 5 games
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:32 AM »
The thread is titled "Importance of the next 5 games".  Perhaps we can get some discussion going about that.

Way to hijack the thread Choz. :)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »
Let's just change the title to "Reasons why this program NEEDS to change ASAP" because that's a much more worthy discussion and is DIRECTLY tied into the next 5 games!
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
Let's not change the title of the thread.

Next 5 games, I think, do speak to what happens in the next 3-4 years, because Norm might stay on if he wins the winnable games.  OR, for all we know, his staying is contingent on getting Lance.  OR, maybe Monsach wanted to get rid of him last year and has some other metric to measure him on, and he might be gone.

We don't know.  And realistically, the team could win 4 of the next 5 games - Rutgers, Cincy, WVa, South Florida, Seton Hall.

Note that South Florida is actually better this year, and the Malik Boothe/ Rob Thomas factor will come into play.

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

Next 5 games, I think, do speak to what happens in the next 3-4 years, because Norm might stay on if he wins the winnable games.  OR, for all we know, his staying is contingent on getting Lance.  OR, maybe Monsach wanted to get rid of him last year and has some other metric to measure him on, and he might be gone.

We don't know.  And realistically, the team could win 4 of the next 5 games - Rutgers, Cincy, WVa, South Florida, Seton Hall.

Note that South Florida is actually better this year, and the Malik Boothe/ Rob Thomas factor will come into play.

I think that we have a realistic chance at beating 4 of those 5 teams.  I do NOT think there is a realisitc chance we win 4 out of 5 big east games.  At best we go 3-2.  I'd put my money on 2-3 or 1-4.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »

I think that we have a realistic chance at beating 4 of those 5 teams.  I do NOT think there is a realisitc chance we win 4 out of 5 big east games.  At best we go 3-2.  I'd put my money on 2-3 or 1-4.

I think there is absolutely a realitistic chance we go 4-1 in that stretch.  However, I also think there is a realistic chance that those will be the last wins we get all year.

We can beat any one of those teams except WV and anyone of those teams can beat us.  I'd expect to go either 3-2 (most likely) or 4-1. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »

I think there is absolutely a realitistic chance we go 4-1 in that stretch.  However, I also think there is a realistic chance that those will be the last wins we get all year.

We can beat any one of those teams except WV and anyone of those teams can beat us.  I'd expect to go either 3-2 (most likely) or 4-1.
DePaul.  It's hard to lose to DePaul.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »

LOL  True.  I knew DePaul would suck, but I thought they would at least win 3-5 games in the conference.  Wainwright really needs to be fired.  He is awful.  Then again, Norm has one of the worst road records in the country over the last five seasons.  It could end up being a total crapfest.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

LOL  True.  I knew DePaul would suck, but I thought they would at least win 3-5 games in the conference.  Wainwright really needs to be fired.  He is awful.  Then again, Norm has one of the worst road records in the country over the last five seasons.  It could end up being a total crapfest.
And I'm gonna be at that game.  I thought before the season that their talent was really underwhelming.  Then I saw their preseason game and I couldn't believe how awful they were.  Jerry really needs to go.  As an aside, I do think they have a lot of the same problems that St. John's does - a small-thinking administration in a market that should being in local talent. 

My wife's coming, and it is going to be a laughfest. 

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »

And I'm gonna be at that game.  I thought before the season that their talent was really underwhelming.  Then I saw their preseason game and I couldn't believe how awful they were.  Jerry really needs to go.  As an aside, I do think they have a lot of the same problems that St. John's does - a small-thinking administration in a market that should being in local talent. 

My wife's coming, and it is going to be a laughfest.

I like Dar Tucker and Koshwal was even higher rated than JB coming out of school.  Neither team can shoot consistently.  We might see a comined 15 or less assist game. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
I like Dar Tucker and Koshwal was even higher rated than JB coming out of school.  Neither team can shoot consistently.  We might see a comined 15 or less assist game.
By then, Dar Tucker's just not going to give up the ball.  He'll be trying to score 25 a game and get to the NBA!  And their point guards are a truly sad collection. 

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 01:59:05 PM »
"IF" we get a healthy Boothe and R. Thomas back... I am going on a limb and say we have a "CHANCE" to go 5-0.

4-1 or 3-2 would be the more likely scenario.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
"IF" we get a healthy Boothe and R. Thomas back... I am going on a limb and say we have a "CHANCE" to go 5-0.

5-0 would be nice. The Anti Norm crybabies would be in rare form

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »

Are you being serious?  We have never had a 5-0 stretch in conference play.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:16:44 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
5-0 would be smoke and mirrors.  the team will still be terrible.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »
No offense yo. But evrybdy should be lookin at the impotance of the next 5 year, not the next 5 game.

That the tru cycle we in.

I believe it was you saying high school kids don't remember more than 4 years ago in terms of college basketball. So I think its pretty important to win now rather than forget about right now. I'd rather win and lure better and more recruits here a la Lance Stephenson.

The program need to be completely rebuilt.

Its another three to five year cycle that gotta start after March.

This last cycle has not worked and show no sign of workin.

One playa aint gonna make no diffrence.

Need to lay the groundwork fo a successful 'gram.

'Cause right now this here is a buildin witout no foundation. Its teeterin'. Y'all best believe.

Could you further explain by what you mean by "cause right now this here is buildin without no foundation"

I think we have a foundation but I don't think we have walls or a roof yet. We have some roots/ties in a lot of local AAU programs with kids who are coming out in the next 2-3 seasons. Cross and Young help with that a great deal. I think we have a good base of players but are missing the stud(Lance).

I'm not sure why you are challenging Choz so much in this thread.  He is right on the money. 

We may have a foundation, but it's not a great one and it should have been in place in the first year or two.  To talk about just starting a foundation in year FIVE is just disappointing.

I think even in the unlikely event of us landing Stephenson Norm will mess it up, and then we would lose Mason and Stephenson and suck again.  And how bad are we going to be when we lose Hardy, DJ, Paris, Coker, Burrell, and Boothe after that!  No program can lose that many key players and be good. 

Keeping Norm Roberts around will ruin this program.

Someone else "ruined" this program. Norm is trying to rebuild it

It is a good thing Norm is not a contractor! Guy would take 5 years to fix a leaky roof!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
No offense yo. But evrybdy should be lookin at the impotance of the next 5 year, not the next 5 game.

I believe it was you saying high school kids don't remember more than 4 years ago in terms of college basketball. So I think its pretty important to win now rather than forget about right now. I'd rather win and lure better and more recruits here a la Lance Stephenson.

'Cause right now this here is a buildin witout no foundation. Its teeterin'. Y'all best believe.

Could you further explain by what you mean by "cause right now this here is buildin without no foundation"

I think we have a foundation but I don't think we have walls or a roof yet. We have some roots/ties in a lot of local AAU programs with kids who are coming out in the next 2-3 seasons. Cross and Young help with that a great deal. I think we have a good base of players but are missing the stud(Lance).

I'm not sure why you are challenging Choz so much in this thread.  He is right on the money. 

We may have a foundation, but it's not a great one and it should have been in place in the first year or two.  To talk about just starting a foundation in year FIVE is just disappointing.

I think even in the unlikely event of us landing Stephenson Norm will mess it up, and then we would lose Mason and Stephenson and suck again.  And how bad are we going to be when we lose Hardy, DJ, Paris, Coker, Burrell, and Boothe after that!  No program can lose that many key players and be good. 

It is a good thing Norm is not a contractor! Guy would take 5 years to fix a leaky roof!
I can hear him now. You have to give the rain credit. You can't nail shingles all at once. It takes time for them to get ready. Theres no room for excuses but my number one carpenter is out on comp.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »

I can hear him now. You have to give the rain credit. You can't nail shingles all at once. It takes time for them to get ready. Theres no room for excuses but my number one carpenter is out on comp.

Very good, but do not forget the roof is young ;)