2010 Recruiting

• 9 replies
2010 Recruiting
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

I was quickly skimming Telep's top 75 for 2010 and noticed that only 31 kids remain due to the accelerated nature of current recruiting, but four of the remaining players were still listing us. These were Pinkston, Lamb, Shaquille Thomas, and Kyrie Irving.

With scholarship space being at premium, due to the extensive sophomore class, it realistically might be a one to two person class, with the most likely of recruits being Pinkston.

Tha Kid

Re: 2010 Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
None of those guys will commit to us until after the season to see if Norm is around or not...
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
Also verbals mean nothing - see Doug Wiggins.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
None of those guys will commit to us until after the season to see if Norm is around or not...
If he wasn't fired after last season, it would take a major scandal for him to be fired after this season, particularly if he can add Stephenson to Lawrence and Hardy. I just don't see it realistically happening.

As for your verbal remark, while the Wiggins one stings, the renegging is relatively unusual, even for St. John's.

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
If he wasn't fired after last season, it would take a major scandal for him to be fired after this season, particularly if he can add Stephenson to Lawrence and Hardy. I just don't see it realistically happening.

As for your verbal remark, while the Wiggins one stings, the renegging is relatively unusual, even for St. John's.

This is a point that I have always thought to be a very likely scenario but most posters seem not to see.  Is it not possible that Father Harrington thought the scenario Norm came in was absolutely terrible, and decided at the outset that he would not reevaluate Norm as a coach until his original 5 year term was up, at which point Norm will have been given a fair shot - in Fr. Harrington's mind - to deal with the impossible situation he inherited.  This is the OFFICIAL end of his 5 year deal before any rollover.  There would be no buyout, he would have been given the full contract to try to make it work.

I actually think it's FAR more likely he gets fired this year becauseof those reasons.  Harrington is also cheap and HATES paying multiple coaches' salaries at once, so now that Norm would be officially off the books, could be more reason to fire him now as well.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
Along with what Kid said - and I think I have said this before - it's also possible that the AD (or someone) didn't want to fire Norm before seeing what he could do with his guys, a roster of relatively talented players.  Evaluating a coach on his nearly all-freshmen team (even if it's his doing), doesn't give a chance to see whether that guy can coach when he finally has pieces he feels he can work with in place.  And they have improved... they would just improve more under someone else's tutelage.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
I can see us getting Doron Lamb, also we would most likely get one of the others.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »

If he ads Stephenson, he can't be fired, we have too much to lose at that point.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »

If he ads Stephenson, he can't be fired, we have too much to lose at that point.
If I were his agent, I'd tell him getting that kid can be instrumental to your medium-term survival.

sjd8886

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:34:22 AM »
if stephenson really is serious about comming here and its all based on a relationship with norm, then obviously to make him stay we need to bring in a big gun...but if we do bring in a big gun, and stephenson says no bc he doesnt want to play for that person, would anyone really lose sleep over that...look what a guy like cal does with recruiting in conference usa...you put a guy like that in nyc, in the big east, and its shooting fish in a barrel...it'll be the good old days where we get 2 or 3 of the cities top 5...if something that miraculous happened, then who cares if we lose lance, the next recruiting season would prob be like christmas