Assistant Coaches

• 27 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
All I'll say is this:

Aint no one on that bench is earnin 'cept maybe Billy, Oz and K.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
It’s a quiet snowy day so I thought I would toss this one out there:
What are your feelings on the assistant coaches we have?

Q is a good recruiter and the only member of this staff that could succeed somewhere. 

Braica is dumb as sh*t and nobody on this team knows anything about coaching at this level.
Marillac, can you tell me why you think Q is a good recruiter?
He certainly came in with that reputation and was able to get Stinson to come to Ames for basketball or college. Although it's probably, along with UCLA, the easiest place in the country to recruit to, he was able to convince Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Ray Felton, to choose North Carolina.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/01/31/2009-01-31_st_benedicts_dan_hurley_no_longer_eclips.html?page=0
Wayne Coffey did a tremendous job on Dan Hurley.

"He's in nobody's shadow. His footprints are his own footprints," Bob Sr. says. "There are 20,000 high schools in the country that play basketball, and over the last three or four years, his record matches any team in the country."

No doubt Danny has done a good job with the wealth of talent he receives year in and year out. He comes from great pedigree and he has a great reputation of developing players.

In my high school years, my mother worked at a catholic school in Lakewood, NJ so I played a lot of playground ball and some organized ball there. I played with JR Smith a lot and the kid was freak athletically. I'm not sure I've met a person with a sicker vertical than him. Kid couldn't shoot a lick while he was at Lakewood HS(honestly he made Ced Jackson look like a great shooter). Any and every time he scored it was a drive and dunk but he went off to St. Benedicts and came back with some range and he definitely showed it off in the Mcdonalds All-American game. Kids around the block were in shock and how good he got after he went off to St. Benedicts.
He, Boyle, Hicks, Antigua, etc. may want to call it "receives," but there is a major aspect of recruiting that still goes into coaching at the highest level of the powerhouse Catholic schools in NJ/NY. For the most part, these kids are much better off with the discipline instilled at these schools than they would be at their local public high schools.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
All I'll say is this:

I don't even know what Billy Singleton does.  How's he earnin?

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

Would love to see a Danny Hurley on the staff.

If Norm was able to pull this off... I would give him another 2 year extension just due to his brilliance to lure him here.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
Coach briaca recruited paris, Calhoun,justin,Omari,dwight, and one more person I forget. His recruits can all play as y'all can see.
Very good point KOB

pmg911

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
All I'll say is this:

He is a Gaucho. . Choz will always have his back...

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
All I'll say is this:

All them is earnin for the mere fact that they haven't done any damage. Thats where the bar is at these days.

But serriously, Billy is one cool coach in a cucumber. Dont think Sean Evans would be as good as he be witout him.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Billy works with the bigs, then?  Coach Q does as well?

I do wonder if Norm should not be retained, if they would consider Singleton (Head coached in England for Leicester, which we all know isn't the same level).