How about Fran McCaffrey?

• 15 replies
How about Fran McCaffrey?
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have not heard this guy's name mentioned.

There are several home run candidates that I would love to get.  But if for whatever reason we can't land them...I think Fran McCaffrey (Siena) should get some serious consideration. 

He is from PA, so he has some ties to the Penn area.  But regardless of his ties to NYC, I think his in game coaching is light years ahead of Norm and also very comparable to other top notch coaches. 

I'm interested in others opinions on Mr. McCaffrey??
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:26:02 PM by Dave »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: How about Fran McCaffrey?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
He's been discussed on other sites, I think (I like his teams, think he's a viable candidate).  I wonder why he hasn't moved up in the coaching world - Lehigh to UNC Greensboro to Siena? 

I also love the fact that his wife got ejected from a game after Fran did, and criticizes officials.  She gets pub for being mouthy, and I can see some school thinking they don't want "controversy," but I think she sounds fantastic. 

Norm's still in the job, though.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
His wife getting tossed was hilarious.  I live in the Albany area so it was all over the local papers.

I am also curious as to why he hasn't moved up the ranks yet. 

I just love what he gets out of his teams.  They play great D, and run decent offensive sets.  He has also recruited very well at Siena. 

Like I said, there are other candidates at the top of my list.  But if St John's ended up hiring McCaffrey, I'd be happy with the hire!!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
upstate32 -- Agree 100% about this guy.

I guess all you really need to know is that they are 20-6 this year -- they were 6-24 in 2004-05, the year before McCaffery took over. 

Those numbers alone don't necessarily merit getting the job, but they do merit the AD's interest and an interview.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
I agree that McCaffrey has done a good job but outside of NY how many people know who the coach of Siena is? We need to put St. John's back on the national map and the only way to do that is hire a well established coach who is a big name. Norm Roberts wasn't a big name and still isn't.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »
You're right Dave; he's just an option.

Would love a big name coach, but McCaffrey's name should be thrown on the list of candidates -- obviously below the big name coaches who people talk about ad nauseum.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
One of the best x's and o's coaches in the country.  Very smart man and his teams are ALWAYS good.  I think he could have this current group of talent in the NCAA's next year.

My only concern with him, like McKillop, is the recruiting.  He seems to be a younger, fiery version of the Governor. 

And he has Big East experience.  He is no home run, but he is also not Norm Roberts, and he should be seriously considered if we cannot attract a top tier coach like Cal, Pitino, or Miller.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
i watch as many siena games as i can and in his few years there he has turned the program right around. I love his freelance style of play and he has no problem lighting a fire under players. i would love to see what he could do with st johns
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »
One of the best x's and o's coaches in the country.  Very smart man and his teams are ALWAYS good.  I think he could have this current group of talent in the NCAA's next year.

My only concern with him, like McKillop, is the recruiting.  He seems to be a younger, fiery version of the Governor. 

And he has Big East experience.  He is no home run, but he is also not Norm Roberts, and he should be seriously considered if we cannot attract a top tier coach like Cal, Pitino, or Miller.

Well said. I would throw Seth Greenberg in that list right below those top tier coaches.

sjd8886

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »
at this point not get a name coach is not good enough...the admin has shown they'll let someone coach as long as they want as long as they dont allow the kids to get strippers and smoke pot...right now this program is just in a little rut...every program goes through some rough years from time to time, so a stretch of 7 or so from us isnt bad in the long run but i dont think the program can sustain another 5 or so years of whats been going on...next coach has got to be a big name, or we better hope for a miracle worker

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
If Sean Miller were offered and accepted would Kevin Parrom follow him to Queens?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
I think the University would be doing itself a disservice not to investigate the idea of Bobby Knight.

1. Knight
2. Miller
3.Jim Christian(TCU)
4. Brain Gregory(Dayton)

Christian  i find the most intriguing. 6 20 win seasons at Kent st.   from Bethpage Long Island. Only n 1st season at TCU so might not be able to pry away.   This guy's bio is impressive.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:43:35 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »
I would be all for Bobby Knight coming here. The attention that St John's would get from his hire would be unlike anything this program has seen in a decade. 

As of now, he's probably third on my list behind Calipari and Miller.

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »
If Sean Miller were offered and accepted would Kevin Parrom follow him to Queens?

was miller the main reason he decided on Xavier, i forget

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »

Think Book Richardson had something to do with it

http://goxavier.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/richardson_emanuel00.html

sjd8886

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »

Think Book Richardson had something to do with it

http://goxavier.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/richardson_emanuel00.html

would have taken less effort to just write he had a relationship with the ass coach lol but thanks