Coker suspended

• 14 replies

TONYD3

Coker suspended
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
Coker has been suspended because of grades. He can't practice or play until the suspension is over. There is an article on the schools web site. It seems he is out for the rest of the season.

boo3

Re: Coker suspended
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
 This must be Burrells fault.   Isn't everything?

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
TonyD is the "answer man!"
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the reason but I rarely see Dele in class and he missed an exam a day when Billy Singleton came to check on him.  100% speculation as to this being the cause of suspension on my part but that did happen.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
Coach gotta have mo' control over that.

Y'all got more staff than three high school programs t'gether. Y'all have someone there to make sure the kid is in class.

Plus y'all hammer it home to the kid better be in class.

Cant believe this is the first time.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »
Skipping class is for players who have an NBA future.
Players like Stanley Robinson.

This puts a wrench in Harry's 'doing it the right way' plan. 

Dele, what's the matter with you? You gotta try to flunk outa SJU as a baller.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:49:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the reason but I rarely see Dele in class and he missed an exam a day when Billy Singleton came to check on him.  100% speculation as to this being the cause of suspension on my part but that did happen.

I know it goes on at some schools, but it's pathetic that Singleton or any coach has to check on the players showing up to class. This is a step above bed checks-for people old enough to vote or fight in Afghanistan. Coker needs to get his act together off and on the court. Good job out of Roberts for not letting Coker's grades slide any more. Hopefully, it acts as a wakeup call.

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030209aac.html

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »
hmm...

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »

I know it goes on at some schools, but it's pathetic that Singleton or any coach has to check on the players showing up to class. This is a step above bed checks-for people old enough to vote or fight in Afghanistan. Coker needs to get his act together off and on the court. Good job out of Roberts for not letting Coker's grades slide any more. Hopefully, it acts as a wakeup call.

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030209aac.html

I agree NTSG. This is a turning point in this kids life, hopefully he realizes that and can come back from this. And as you said, good job by the staff, realizing academics come first-Rob Thomas can be an inspiration for this kid

kob24

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
First of all poison that was funny as hell. Second louiville had a gauchos coach two years ago at there a school to baby sit two players to make sure they went to class. That's why they be having all those titles for the coaching staff

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
First of all poison that was funny as hell. Second louiville had a gauchos coach two years ago at there a school to baby sit two players to make sure they went to class. That's why they be having all those titles for the coaching staff

Louisville and Cincy are the two worst schools in the conference.
And they're known for horrid academics among athletes.

SJU might not be Harvard, but what is Norm doing here if academics are still a problem?

Lately, Norm's been under a lot of pressure. Picked up a technical foul against Syracuse. Screamed at the refs, and stomped his feet like a 6 year old.

Maybe this is it. We can only pray.

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:31 AM »

SJU might not be Harvard, but what is Norm doing here if academics are still a problem?

Lately, Norm's been under a lot of pressure. Picked up a technical foul against Syracuse. Screamed at the refs, and stomped his feet like a 6 year old.

yea norm will get reprimanded bad this time...with only a 3 year extension  ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 01:34:46 AM »

Before you go any further on your crazy rant. Why is this Norm's fault? Is he supposed to hold Dele's hand and take him to class? The responsibility falls onto Dele and he is paying the consequences for it.

Dele Coker will be suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules, specifically not meeting the team's required academic responsibilities.

Notice it says "team" rules not "school" or "ncaa" so it looks like Norm is running a tight ship when it comes to academics. What's wrong with that? I don't see the need to Norm bash in this case. Also by defending him here that doesn't mean I'm praising him for it either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »

Before you go any further on your crazy rant. Why is this Norm's fault?

Dave,

By no means am I saying this is Norm's fault becuase Coker needs to take care of his own business and have some level of personal responsibilty to himself and commitment to his teammates.This kid is being given a gift in free education and I hope he doesn't let it slip away.

That being said...  anything that happens, good or bad, in regards to the St. John's Men's Basketball program is the responsibilty of Norm Roberts. He is the leader of the program and should take responsibilty, even if it is not his to take.

It one of things that has driven my nuts about the guy, he nevers takes personal responsibillity for anything, on the court or off.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03032009/sports/college/storm_watch_intensifies_157735.htm

"Roberts announced that sophomore forward/center Dele Coker will be suspended indefinitely for not meeting the team's required academic responsibilities. A source close to the situation told The Post that Coker's transgression had more to do with poor class and study-hall attendance than poor grades."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!