Can St. John's make the NIT?

• 13 replies
Can St. John's make the NIT?
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:21 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/03/02/2009-03-02_st_johns_coach_norm_roberts_wont_rule_ou.html

"We have a lot to play for. We have two games left. We have the Big East Tournament. I'm not saying we should get into the NIT, but if we could put together three or four or five wins, we could." -Norm Roberts

Sure its not impossible but do we really think we can go on a 3-4 game win streak? Even if we do is that even enough? What do you guys think the magic number for the NIT is this year? Most recently its been 18-20 wins and more on the 20+ end.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Can St. John's make the NIT?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »
No. I can't envision this year's team accomplishing a four-game winning streak against even middle-of-the-pack BE competition. It would've be more interesting and ambitious if he had verbalized to the beat writers setting this goal as the bar to strive for prior to the season.

Some would say that Norm Roberts is in need of a reality check. Others would call the St. John's coach delusional. But there can be no doubt that the Johnnies' commander-in-chief is ambitious, if nothing else.

------------------------------------------

With a 14-15 record (5-11 Big East) and an RPI of 147 according to CollegeRPI.com, Roberts sounds like a man in need of medication. Still, stranger things have happened.
----------------------------------------
Roberts said his team "regressed" in that loss and looked like the club he'd coached the year before.

"We can't tell 8,000 Syracuse fans not to buy tickets and not to root for their team," he said. "We have no control over that. And I am sure Georgetown will bring a lot of people because they have a lot of people in the area too.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »
That's just some hopeful %$^&! he has to say to try and inspire the team to play for something.  Seton Hall might not make the NIT; G'Town and/ or Notre Dame will.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
Oh man. He gone crazy.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
That's just some hopeful %$^&! he has to say to try and inspire the team to play for something.  Seton Hall might not make the NIT; G'Town and/ or Notre Dame will.

The Hall doesn't belong in the NIT, yet. They can get there with a couple of wins. We need at least 4 wins, and even then, do we deserve it over Notre Dame, Cincy, Seton Hall and Providence?

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »
Norm will make the NIT right after my threesome with Jessica Alba and Megan Fox. I plan on watching the games while cuddling with the before mentioned. Maybe Jessica Biel will deliver us a pizza and Scarlett Johanson will drop by with a 12 pack of Heinekens :)

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
Yes, we will make our own NIT-NOT INVITED TOURNAMENT!

What a joke Slappy is.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »

The Hall doesn't belong in the NIT, yet. They can get there with a couple of wins. We need at least 4 wins, and even then, do we deserve it over Notre Dame, Cincy, Seton Hall and Providence?

PC might make the dance
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »

PC might make the dance

ur right, but i see them falling apart in the big east.

they got lucky against syracuse. if they played them now, they get housed.

Not a Friar believer at all.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »

PC might make the dance

ur right, but i see them falling apart in the big east.

they got lucky against syracuse. if they played them now, they get housed.

Not a Friar believer at all.

They beat Pitt too.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Providence has some big wins.  They should win a game in the BE Tourney to make sure.  If they actually beat Villanova on Thursday I think they're in.  Those Northeastern and Baylor losses hurt them, but you can make the case that once the team and coach got on the same page, they were a top 8 team in the league.

I don't think Seton Hall's a lock for the NIT, but they get there long before the Johnnies do.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
Also, if I remember correctly, Seton Hall and St John's are slated to meet on the first day of the Big East tourney.  That will deserve a thread all its own - the implications and fun of one more Bobby vs. Norm game, complete with questionable basketball and clanking three-point misses.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »
Barring a run, Im not quite sure the NIT is possible. But what about the CBI or the other tourny, I cant remember the name of it. But I do think we need a winning record to qualify for any of them

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
no way we can pull off 3 or 4 straight...its just asking for way too much