Rumble in the Bronx

• 43 replies
Re: Rumble in the Bronx
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
John Carrol has coached the NE Playaz for a couple of years now and told me this is his "last go around" with the team because his son Matt. Dave may remember the shooting guard # 24 will be finishing at Worcester Academy this year.  Say what you will about the guy who runs the team but getting an NBA coach for the kids is a great idea.  I've known John since time spent together at Seton Hall. He helped build the '89 final four team as the top assistant but had taken the head coaching job at Duquesne before that season.  And for those who don't like the way he acted at the scorers table, let me offer an alternative view.  Here's a former pro coach who treated this AAU job with the same intensity and passion he did college and pro coaching.  Was he loud?? yes. but he did the right thing by those kids.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
hes got a good a bball IQ and im not doubting his coaching ability. i just dont like him because hes as condescinding as they come in the basketball world, and plus he works for a thug.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
John Carrol has coached the NE Playaz for a couple of years now and told me this is his "last go around" with the team because his son Matt. Dave may remember the shooting guard # 24 will be finishing at Worcester Academy this year.  Say what you will about the guy who runs the team but getting an NBA coach for the kids is a great idea.  I've known John since time spent together at Seton Hall. He helped build the '89 final four team as the top assistant but had taken the head coaching job at Duquesne before that season.  And for those who don't like the way he acted at the scorers table, let me offer an alternative view.  Here's a former pro coach who treated this AAU job with the same intensity and passion he did college and pro coaching.  Was he loud?? yes. but he did the right thing by those kids.
I appreciate his intensity, set plays, and professionalism. Last year and, at time, this year they've also had Jay Murphy, the former BC and NBA player, and Dave Lubick, who's won titles in the New England Prep School leagues on the bench. 

His son, Austin, played for Worcester Academy, but I think he's headed to Brewster. He is a reclassified 2010 prospect. He looks like a mid-major zone breaker.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
austin isnt a mid major player...hes tryin his hardest to make it to the IVYs rite now
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small