ESPN: Cleaning up hoops recruiting from within

• 7 replies
ESPN: Cleaning up hoops recruiting from within
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4601355

"I'm no angel and I'm no altar boy," said Seton Hall's Bobby Gonzalez. "But in 10 years as a head coach, I can tell you I've never had to hire a guy to get a kid. Maybe it's because I've been at schools like Manhattan and Seton Hall, where we didn't have the resources even if we wanted to, but I'd like to think that I'd never be that desperate. Now if they put the rule in, it's the same for everybody: You have to work to get a kid. It eliminates another line between the haves and the have-nots."
"It's legalized extortion," Greenberg said. "And what happens is you end up prostituting your value system because it affects your livelihood. If you're in the next-to-last year of a $1 million contract, what are you going to do? It's risk and reward."

Re: ESPN: Cleaning up hoops recruiting from within
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »
Great article... its going to be interesting to see the development of this. Also the Gonzo quote is priceless because he just hasn't had anyone who accepted his offer to join his staff. He's tried to dip into the Newark pipeline of Playaz
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
Great article... its going to be interesting to see the development of this. Also the Gonzo quote is priceless because he just hasn't had anyone who accepted his offer to join his staff. He's tried to dip into the Newark pipeline of Playaz

I guess Derm Player is great with the x's and o's?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Wow. If they find a way to keep track and enforce these changes they might be... actual changes to the way recruiting is done.  I wonder if the quote

"If such a hire is made following the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete after they enroll at the institution within the two year-period," the recommendation reads, "the student-athlete becomes permanently ineligible for competition." refers to all competition or competition at that school.

It seems that St. John's connections to Oz Cross and Kimani Young would still be on the up-and-up in this system.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
Well the way around this is just hire these guys as actual coaches and not staff members.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
Well the way around this is just hire these guys as actual coaches and not staff members.

There is a set number of associate/assistant coaches you can have in D1 ball, yes?

I don't want to see Gonzo with 14 assistants!  LOL

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
This got passed today unanimously

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
This got passed today unanimously

It's a great rule....the way to get around it is naming a guy a coach, but I think it's less likely for a head coach to want to put some of these guys in the circle of trust that close to them
"I drink and I know things"