Calm Before the Storm: Saturday Night, Brotherly Love [Johnny Jungle]

• 12 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
The last game of the Philly Hoop Group Classic pairs St. John's against the tough Temple Owls, and another coach named Fran. The tempo's the key in this matchup... as is finding a way to avoid Temple's frustrating defense.

Read More! Calm Before the Storm: Saturday Night, Brotherly Love
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:46:08 AM by peter »

Re: Calm Before the Storm: Saturday Night, Brotherly Love [Johnny Jungle]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »
Great write up...its nice that we may be abale to see this game since it will be on MASN. Should be able to find it somewhere ;D

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »
Injury note: Temple center Michael Eric has a sprained knee, may be out for tonight's game as well. Link
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:18:01 AM by peter »

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
Good stuff Peter...this is going to be a tough game.  I don't think Temple will let us run like Siena did.

65-60 STJ
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
From a Temple fan,

Looking forward to a great matchup tonight. Two very talented teams in another down to the wire game.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
It will be interesting if we can repeat our success against Siena. Push them out and contain inside. I'd like to see us get out and run again.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
From a Temple fan,

Looking forward to a great matchup tonight. Two very talented teams in another down to the wire game.

Thanks for signing up and posting. Feel free to chime in some more pre, during, and post game. Always fun to get the opponents perspective. Nice blog too I dig it.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
Great analysis, Peter.  Tonight will be a great test for the team.  Temple is always so physical and that big they have is nasty inside.  We just have to keep rotating bodies on him.  He needs to be boxed out every single possession. 

Points are going to be hard to come by, so we need to continue to get out and run.  That will be the best way to neutralize him on the boards.  If he is chasing one of our fast PF's up and down,he will get burned out quickly. 

Tempo is surely the key.  The three ball will be huge for us tonight.  We probably don't win if we only hit two again this game. 

DJ has to get to the basket.  This will probably be the type of team Omari would excel against.  This is his style of play FOR SURE.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »
I just hope we don't get trigger happy with the 3's again. We're a much better team inside the arc. Even if we have a hot night shooting doesn't mean we should think we're a perimeter oriented team.

This year we may have the best shooting team in a while but we still need to create problems and get to the rim.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »
I just hope we don't get trigger happy with the 3's again. We're a much better team inside the arc. Even if we have a hot night shooting doesn't mean we should think we're a perimeter oriented team.

This year we may have the best shooting team in a while but we still need to create problems and get to the rim.

Agreed.  If you live by the three you die by three.  I was happiest last night seeing "layup by Brownlee" "layup by Kennedy" "layup by Hardy" over and over.  We have to take advantage of every single 3-2 or 4-3 we get and also have to attack the basket primarily in the halfcourt. 

Temple is such a tough test after Siena.  Two contrasting styles. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 03:45:36 PM »
True, Marillac.  And after seeing the game against Bonaventure, where the team couldn't get out and make the game a track meet, I worry about this game.  Hopefully they've shored up some of the problems they had against the Bonnies.

Our team SHOULD be physical, but they aren't yet.  And if tough forward play and a slow-down game can stop the Johnnies, there are gonna be some tough games in the Big East.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
after gonig 2-14 from the arc yesterday, we still found a way to win. if everything clicks tonite, we will win

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
True, Marillac.  And after seeing the game against Bonaventure, where the team couldn't get out and make the game a track meet, I worry about this game.  Hopefully they've shored up some of the problems they had against the Bonnies.

Our team SHOULD be physical, but they aren't yet.  And if tough forward play and a slow-down game can stop the Johnnies, there are gonna be some tough games in the Big East.

I thought we showed more physical play yesterday but I don't think its up to par yet. We can play more physical. I hope yesterday was a stepping stone. A win tonight is so big for this program. A win tonight most likely puts us at 6-0 going into Duke.