St. John's improves to 4-0 [NYDailyNews]

• 0 replies
St. John's improves to 4-0 [NYDailyNews]
« on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/11/28/2009-11-28_st_johns_improves_to_50_after_comefrombehind_win_over_siena_.html

St. John's improves to 4-0 after come-from-behind win over Siena
BY Roger Rubin
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 4:00 AM
PHILADELPHIA - Most of the faces are the same and the uniforms certainly haven't changed, but St. John's is a very different team this season. The Johnnies play tough. They don't fear the road. They win.

Siena posed a serious challenge Friday night, and St. John's rose up to it. The Saints have been to two straight NCAA Tournaments, staged upsets in the first round of each and have five major players from those teams in the starting lineup. The Johnnies didn't flinch, coming from behind for a 77-68 victory in the Philly Hoop Group Classic at the Palestra.

Trailing by eight with more than five minutes gone in the second half, the Red Storm found a toughness it hasn't shown in years. St. John's reeled off a 19-4 run to take a 58-51 lead and never relented in finishing the job this time.

St. John's (4-0) faces Temple Saturday with a chance to go 5-0 for the first time in coach Norm Roberts' six seasons.

"I know that they had trouble with games like this last year, but I wouldn't if I hadn't followed them," said junior college transfer and current St. John's guard Dwight Hardy, who had 13 points. "They don't act like a team that's worried they're going to lose it. This team acts like a winning team."

"It's a terrific win for us because we're up and coming," Roberts said. "These are the type of games and battles we'll have every night in the Big East. ... When you play those teams, there's going to be moments in the game when you have to stay tough. ... We had it tonight, but we have to continue to have it."

D.J. Kennedy led St. John's with 23 points - 19 in the second half after it trailed 36-31 at the break - and five assists. Ryan Rossiter, out of Staten Island's Farrell High, had 24 points on 11-for-14 shooting for the Saints (3-2).

When the Saints closed to within 64-60 with 3:40 to play, SJU answered immediately by breaking the press for a Hardy layup. Malik Boothe took a charge on the other end, and the Storm again broke the press with Boothe finding Sean Evans for an emphatic dunk and an eight-point lead.

The Johnnies haven't had that bounce-back ability in some time, but they are showing what Paris Horne called "killer instinct." Timeout huddles at crunch time have been very different from those of last season.

"Last year we would say 'we're not going to lose this one,' but I think some guys would really believe we were going to lose and some guys would be off into their own world," Boothe said. "This year with this team, when we say that in the huddle I think everybody actually believes we're not going to lose the game."

The Johnnies must keep winning if they are going to change perceptions about the program, but they knew that this result would raise eyebrows. Boothe expected it would be met by college basketball fans with a refreshing thought: "maybe this team isn't a joke."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:35:11 AM by jumpinjohnny »
Molloy '71