Dwight Hardy vs Avery Patterson

• 28 replies
Re: Dwight Hardy vs Avery Patterson
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
FWIW, I also believe Hardy will have the record by season's end.  He'll have some games in which he hits 5-6 treys for sure.

That is because you, Michael and others of the same ilk have no respect for Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson or his great achievement in his only season with us and mistakenly think then any Tom, Dick or Harry could throw in 72 threes if given the opportunity.

How wrong you are.

FWIW, and I still can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not about Avery, 72 made 3PG's would not have gotten you into the top 100 players in 3PG's made in any of the last three years (including last year when they moved the line back) so it's not some kind of otherworldly achievement.  Speaks more to the fact that STJ has never had that kind of designated shooter than it does to Avery's magnificence.  Especially when you consider of the 100 guys that made 77 or more three's in Avery's year at SJU only 2 had a worse 3PG%.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »

DH is 10 for 23 from 3 after 5 games (43 percent). His PPS is 1.42.

AP shot 72 for 220 from three (32 percent) in 2006-7. He had 23 3's after 5 games in 49 attempts (47 percent). Thereafter he shot 49 for 171 (28 percent) meaning he made slightly less than 2 threes per game over the remaining 26 games. His PPS was 1.05. Which is to say that after wasting powerhouses Thomas Aquinas and Navy, he basically sucked.

Compare AP to Willie Shaw, who made 71 threes in 189 attempts (one less three made in 30 fewer attempts) in 2001.

Hardy's numbers extrapolate to ~ 60 threes over the course of the season, playing ~ 10 minutes less per game than Patterson and taking about half as many shots.

So he's doing pretty well with it.

I am quite certain that all Johnny single season records include the statistics of both early season out of conference opponents and BE opponents (at least once we joined a conference).  It's even likely that some of the other record holders also did quite well against the weaker opponents.

Avery didn't create the schedule.  He just threw in many 3's against whomever they put in front of him.

Furthermore,  his percentages and overall numbers would have been even better if slappy didn't bench him the entire  second half of the "head band incident" PC game and place him squarely in the doghouse for the remainder of that season.  Eventually forcing a most untimely transfer.

I have nothing against Hardy boyz. I've seen him play twice now and he no doubt played a key roll in this past weeend's success. It's just that asking him to break the untouchable record of all-time Johnny legend Avery "3 point record holer" Patterson in his first year in the league is simply unattainable and an unfair level of expectation to place on the young man.

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
It's not how many threes you hit.
It's how many meaningful threes.

Patterson against Syracuse. That's it.
Nothing else against a good team. His
numbers against winning teams is horrid.

Do you pick apart and seek to diminish the accomplishments of other Johnny single season record holders or is Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson the only lucky one.

Has Walter Berry's 76 blocks; Bob Zawoluk's 208 FT's; and Mel Davis' 436 rebounds records undergone the same level of scrutiny from you.

Hitting a lot of 3's in a season is a good thing  He doesn't own the single season turnover record.

He certainly doesn't own the record for three point field goal percentage either....
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 03:02:59 PM »
Something we have featured on the site since the update in case none of you have taken notice...

http://johnnyjungle.com/junglepedia/top-10-all-time-career-leaders/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »
Something we have featured on the site since the update in case none of you have taken notice...

http://johnnyjungle.com/junglepedia/top-10-all-time-career-leaders/

How come you don't have the Total Points scored records there?  that should be at the top,  I would think.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
I am quite certain that all Johnny single season records include the statistics of both early season out of conference opponents and BE opponents (at least once we joined a conference).  It's even likely that some of the other record holders also did quite well against the weaker opponents.
Vague allusions to evidence that might exist somewhere -- and especially completely irrelevant evidence concerning the shooting percentages of players other than the one under discussion -- are not evidence. If there are stats that support your position, feel free to present them here for discussion. Otherwise I'll have to assume that they don't exist, and that you're talking out your ass, as usual.

Avery didn't create the schedule.  He just threw in many 3's against whomever they put in front of him.
No. As I painstakingly demonstrated in my previous post, he threw in a bunch of threes against a limited number of crappy opponents at the beginning of the year and then stunk the rest of the time.

Furthermore,  his percentages and overall numbers would have been even better if slappy didn't bench him the entire  second half of the "head band incident" PC game and place him squarely in the doghouse for the remainder of that season. 
No. The headband game vs Providence was Feb 17th. In the three remaining games of the season Patterson played

29 minutes (vs Louisville), 2-7 from 3
36 minutes (vs Duke) 1-6 from 3
34 minutes (vs Providence) 0-6 from 3

Patterson averaged 29 minutes per game in 2006-7, so rather than being in the doghouse, he played more minutes after the half-game headband benching than before, although he did shoot an even worse percentage after (15 percent) than before (7 for 25 in the three games prior to Providence, 28 percent).

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 01:54:50 PM »

and that you're talking out your ass, as usual.

29 minutes (vs Louisville), 2-7 from 3
36 minutes (vs Duke) 1-6 from 3
34 minutes (vs Providence) 0-6 from 3

Patterson averaged 29 minutes per game in 2006-7, so rather than being in the doghouse, he played more minutes after the half-game headband benching than before, although he did shoot an even worse percentage after (15 percent) than before (7 for 25 in the three games prior to Providence, 28 percent).

Is this you doc?  The style and venom sound familiar. Or are multiple posters now falsely accusing me of talking out my a$$?

Let me set the record straight.  I don't "talk out my a$$".  I type out my a$$.

And what I meant to type was that slappy wontanly and criminally inflicted grave psychological harm on Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson via the "headband incident" causing his # of 3 pointers and 3 point shooting percentages to decline there after. 

Even still, despite your attempts to disparage him, Avery remains the greatest 3 point shooter in the history of St. John's basketball.  It's there in the history books where it shall remain forever more. 

Suck on that, stat boy!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:09:39 PM by carmineabbatiello »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:16 PM »
I am not stepping in the middle of this e-argument, but boy I hope someone tops Avery's # of three-pointers hit in a season.  Because watching him play activated my bile.  He was like Willie Shaw but slightly less useful.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
Because watching him play activated my bile.

To each his own.

For me, watching him play was sublime joy. 

He was like Nureyev,  Barishnikov and Louie Dampier all rolled into one.  :)