Should Brownlee start?

• 14 replies
Should Brownlee start?
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
JOhn Celestand and Kevin Burkhardt were loving on Justin Brownlee throughout the game,saying things along the lines of "he might have to put in his time, but I think  that time has come."  What do you guys think? Start him? If so, over who?

As for me, I love his energy off the bench, so I say keep him there for now. Love his game
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:39:30 AM by Marco Baldi »

Re: Should Brownlee start?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »
Provides a great spark off the bench with Hardy

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
I think Brownlee is a great find,
but we might actually get better when we go to our bench.

Outside of DJ, no one is tearing it up.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »
I personally enjoy having a strong bench that I can trust.  It makes it a lot easier for a coach to pull someone when they know the guy coming in will do his job.  Last night was my 1st time seeing Brownlee and I must say the kid has a lot more game then I imagined and his stroke was a lot prettier then I thought it'd be. 

Did anyone else find it odd how SNY was gushing over him so much?  From the very beginning of the broadcast until the end he was the talk of the announcers.  It was like they knew someone in his family and wanted to say his name with a strong compliment as much as possible.  The kid played real well but listening to those 2 you would have thought he was Walter Berry down low.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:32 AM »
N to the Izz-no.

This team needs a bench spark, a change of pace.  Also, starting would change Brownlee's game - he'd have to defer to Kennedy and Evans, and in the future Mason.  And Brownlee REALLY likes to put it up when he's on the court.  I bet he'll get a start as a change of pace guy at some point, unless Justin Burrell starts putting up some points.  but sometimes Burrell's defense is pretty good, and you'd lose something with Brownlee, I think.

Though Brownlee does have 5 blocks, compared to Burrell's 6, for what it's worth.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »
I thought Burrell played pretty well yesterday actually.  Rebounding is such a weird stat sometimes.  Justin could have easily outrebounded Sean if he steals em away from him but obviously that could lead to a disaster.  I see it all the time with David Lee padding his rebounding stats.  2 guys on 1 team and no one on the other around and it's an easy way to add to your stats.  Burrell threw some great outlet passes (granted I was terrified where they may end up) and played real well on defense.  The 1 thing I don't like from Justin too much and sometimes the others is when they run the pick and roll they all like to pop.  It's like they don't realize that a guard has switched down on them. 

Foad

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:11 AM »
N to the Izz-no.

This team needs a bench spark, a change of pace.  Also, starting would change Brownlee's game - he'd have to defer to Kennedy and Evans, and in the future Mason.  And Brownlee REALLY likes to put it up when he's on the court.  I bet he'll get a start as a change of pace guy at some point, unless Justin Burrell starts putting up some points.  but sometimes Burrell's defense is pretty good, and you'd lose something with Brownlee, I think.

Though Brownlee does have 5 blocks, compared to Burrell's 6, for what it's worth.

There are a lot of considerations here (egos etc) but I'd consider starting Brownlee in Horne's place, and moving Kennedy to the two. Burrell -- who had 7 and 5 yesterday in 22 minutes, which is pretty good for someone people (not you) describe as "lost out there" -- wouldn't bring much energy off the bench, so he may as well start, but Horne's pretty energetic all the time.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
N to the Izz-no.

There are a lot of considerations here (egos etc) but I'd consider starting Brownlee in Horne's place, and moving Kennedy to the two. Burrell -- who had 7 and 5 yesterday in 22 minutes, which is pretty good for someone people (not you) describe as "lost out there" -- wouldn't bring much energy off the bench, so he may as well start, but Horne's pretty energetic all the time.

What you described here is what I think will eventually happen upon Mason's return. I think Mason will move to the starting 3 and Kennedy to the 2. We have options which is fun and exciting. I don't think there is a bad situation.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
Brownlee cab clean the glass.
I like that. Horne needs to find other
ways to get to the basket. The biggest weakness in his game,
Is that sometimes he just goes right at the hoop.

An up and under or something to keep them on their toes
might help him become less predictable.

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »
I thought Burrell played pretty well yesterday actually.  Rebounding is such a weird stat sometimes.  Justin could have easily outrebounded Sean if he steals em away from him but obviously that could lead to a disaster.  I see it all the time with David Lee padding his rebounding stats.  2 guys on 1 team and no one on the other around and it's an easy way to add to your stats.  Burrell threw some great outlet passes (granted I was terrified where they may end up) and played real well on defense.  The 1 thing I don't like from Justin too much and sometimes the others is when they run the pick and roll they all like to pop.  It's like they don't realize that a guard has switched down on them.

I agree.  Burrell had some great outlets.  Sean always goes for the boards when its just him and justin and justin lets him.  I agree with that.  For the most part I thought Burrell was good yesterday - he gets caught out of position under the basket for a few boards but I was pleased overall.  Keep starting burrell.  Brownlee is GREAT spark off the bench.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
No, Brownlee shouldn't start!!  He provides a good spark off the bench!

When he should be in the game is down the stretc of close games!!  That's where you want your best players playing!!!

kjd01067

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
I think Brownlee is great off the bench and thats where he should stay.  He is the kind of spark to both the offense and defense that this team sorely missed last year.  On another note I don't think Burrell would do good off the bench.  JB has his good games when he gets it going early and builds confidence.  I think if Norm sits JB we see him digress. 

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Gotta be able to pull guys like Brownlee and Hardy off the bench to add some scoring pop.  It instantly changes the game, and it is a wildcard to hold.  If our starters are killing it, let them do so.  If we are getting hurt, bring in the runners and change the pace of the game entirely. 

Horne has been disappointing this season. 

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
I think Burrell gives you the legit post up man and defender while Evans is the faceup, hustler, brute high energy guy. I think Brownlee gives you a little bit of Burrell and Evans so he's solid off the bench to replace either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »
i think brownlee is worth starting, if for nothing else than to lite a fire under burrells ass...burrell has played weak for the last year and then some...if he played with evans desire he would be our best player