St. John's Red Storm pounded by Rutgers [NY Daily News]

• 0 replies
St. John's Red Storm pounded by Rutgers [NY Daily News]
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
St. John's strong start and the idea that it could have a breakthrough season and return to the NCAA Tournament have faded. Loss upon loss has turned the situation into a powder keg.

And Tuesday night Rutgers threw in a match.

The Red Storm was soundly beaten by the Scarlet Knights, 84-72, at the RAC and it was a bad loss in every meaning of the phrase. Rutgers was one of the two teams still below the Johnnies in the Big East standings. St. John's fell out of contention fairly early last night and never really got back into the game.

It is the team's fourth straight loss. And this sort of defeat is sure to re-ignite speculation about coach Norm Roberts' job security. "I wish I could figure out a stronger word than 'disbelief.' 'Flabbergasted' maybe," Justin Burrell said. "It's the worst loss of my sports career ever. I played football, soccer, basketball and this one hurts more than anything. I don't know how to pinpoint why. We shouldn't lose."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/02/03/2010-02-03_what_a_knightmare.html#ixzz0eTmYdf4q
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!