Norm Gives Seton Hall Credit...

• 12 replies
Norm Gives Seton Hall Credit...
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
Head Coach Norm Roberts
On Seton Hall:
"We have to give them credit. They made big shots and played patient. We didn't make shots and it affected us on defense."

On the effort of his team:
"These guys try so hard and they are trying so hard to win. We want so bad to win. Tonight we got tight and we didn't make it happen."

On the St. John's offense:
"We got stagnant and we were holding the ball. We knew they were going to play a 2-3 defense and we practiced it. We just couldn't make it happen."

Junior Forward Justin Burrell
On the urgency of a victory against Seton Hall:
"We really needed this game. We didn't get it done."

Junior Guard D. J. Kennedy
On the team's play against Seton Hall:
"It was a must-win and we missed a lot of layups. We came out in the second half and we didn't have it. We just didn't play well."

Head Coach Bobby Gonzalez
Opening Statement:
"Our kids were tremendous. We played unbelievable defense. Fifty points was the lowest amount of points we gave up all year. Between man and zone defense, we defended well. We concentrated on D.J. Kennedy and a couple of other guys. We wanted to make it very difficult for them to score and we accomplished that. We had to step up and get great performances from other players. "

Re: Norm Gives Seton Hall Credit...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
So now our offense is an excuse for our defense? Thats a new excuse even for Norm. It's not like SH scored in transition off our misses.

We were so lazy on offense we walked setting screens and were so stagnant. We didn't do jack. I'm shocked Norm didn't call more timeouts to wake this team up or shake up the lineup. I admit I haven't been in Sean Evans corner lately but he was playing well tonight and we sat him. He was doing what he does best and he was doing it often. It was refreshing.

We ran zero sets for Hardy and we hardly isolated Burrell in the post like we did against ND. Its so weird how we do something so well 1 game ago and fail to even try it the next game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
this is what i hate about norm

he never mans up.

he gives way too much credit to the other team. this loss was all on us.

we dont execute on offense. we dont win. its that simple. we couldnt hit shots under the rim or layups.

and its not that seton halls offense was that great. we gave them about 8 easy lanes to drive off the same play.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
I do think he's looking more and more haggard in the postgame videos.  Tie askew, repetitive, not looking at the camera... I do hope he's let go at the end of the season, but I honestly feel bad for the man. He looks like he has a problem he has no idea how to solve.  Then again, he looked like that last season as well.

(Make no mistake about it, I obviously don't want him employed as a coach of a team I follow.)

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
We were so lazy on offense we walked setting screens and were so stagnant. We didn't do jack. I'm shocked Norm didn't call more timeouts to wake this team up or shake up the lineup.

he did try to shake up the lineup. he brought in rob thomas who was stary eyed and stood at the top of the key apparently looking for someone to guard as his man caught a lazy lob pass for an uncontested dunk.  he brought in omari who immediately got lit up on defense, then bricked a bad shot on offense.

I admit I haven't been in Sean Evans corner lately but he was playing well tonight and we sat him. He was doing what he does best and he was doing it often. It was refreshing.

the old sean was in the building tonight, and while he did play better than anyone else (except maybe boothe) he jogged back on defense twice which allowed sh easy buckets.

We ran zero sets for Hardy and we hardly isolated Burrell in the post like we did against ND. Its so weird how we do something so well 1 game ago and fail to even try it the next game.

idk what you were watching but everytime they played man we ran hardy off a low post stagger screen option. i have never seen a player use screens so poorly.
we went to jb too late, and he needs to settle down. everytime he touches the ball he feels like he has to make a play.

honestly this loss is on the players. maybe it is because they are coached so poorly outside of games, but when it came to gametime we played like shit.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:13 AM »
Another quote from Norm that really pisses me off...

""They beat us. That's what happened. We'll just move on to the next one," said Roberts, his voice rising. "That's life. Nobody died today. That's it. It was a basketball game. Move on."

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »

""They beat us. That's what happened. We'll just move on to the next one," said Roberts, his voice rising. "That's life. Nobody died today. That's it. It was a basketball game. Move on."

that souinds like a quote from a broken man who knows the end is near.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Putting Rob Thomas on the floor for the FIRST TIME ALL GAME while we were in a critical position (down by 8 in the 2nd half) was one of the more bizarre moves Norm made last night.  You're going to put a player in cold like that in the most critical part of the game??
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »

that souinds like a quote from a broken man who knows the end is near.

That's such a ridiculous statement to make.  Just another way to try and diminish the failure that is this team.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
You cant give SH credit for that. Norm just never accepts that its was his/the teams fault that they lost. Maybe if they hit a SINGLE jumper in the first 39 mins of the game it may have been different. Giving credit to the opponent for scoring 60pts and winnning by 10+ is compeletely ridiculous

kob24

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
honestly i feel bad for him looking at the video he looked worn down. i mean i want the man to win but he is #$%^ing up. shit is crazy. it looked like a reporter asked him a question and if u look at his face and how they editted it he must have yelled at him.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
honestly i feel bad for him looking at the video he looked worn down. i mean i want the man to win but he is #$%^ing up. shit is crazy. it looked like a reporter asked him a question and if u look at his face and how they editted it he must have yelled at him.

Hopefully, he's had enough.

I felt bad for him hist first two years.

With pending sanctions, transfers like Hosley and Injuries to Hill and Maybanks, Norm had a reason to ask for pity. 6 years later, I'm out of pity.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »

what he's really saying is what he's been saying all along.  wins and losses don't matter.  i'm under no pressure to win.  he's upset because we don't get it.