How much more attractive does last night's win make us to a new coach?

• 13 replies

Marillac

16 wins for the second year in a row--with a chance for 17 and five starters returning next year.  Obviously the coaching was God-awful, and everyone knows that.  A great coach has to feel that he can win 20-25 with this group next year.

DJ ups his averages in a HUGE way last night.  He went from 33.6% from three to 37% with four attempts per.  He pushed his rebounding and assists averages to over six and three per game, respectively. 

If I'm a coach like Donovan (dreaming here) that hasn't paid too much attention to STJ, I love that there are five seniors returning from a 16/17 win team and that a kid averaged 15.6 6.3 3.0 per contest and three kids over 37% from three with 4+ attempts per. 

To me this is the most frustrating part is that we could already be that 20 win team. We lost some god awful games this year. In no way should we have lost to either Rutgers or Providence those alone push us to 18 and between Cornell, Georgetown, Pitt, Louisville, and WVU we should have won at least 2 of those games which puts us at 20.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

I don't think the issue here is a lack of talent.
Just a lack of awareness.

That said, a new coach will have a new group of kids
that will be his legacy.

Marillac

To me this is the most frustrating part is that we could already be that 20 win team. We lost some god awful games this year. In no way should we have lost to either Rutgers or Providence those alone push us to 18 and between Cornell, Georgetown, Pitt, Louisville, and WVU we should have won at least 2 of those games which puts us at 20.

We win Providence if Boothe was playing 30 mins. 

The three attractive aspects of the job now are:
1) the available scholarships for 2011
2) proximity to Manhattan (for entertainment) and the NY suburbs (family to live)
3) the Big East

Next year's team is, at best, a one-and-done senior-laden NCAA team. That's not going to attract any elite-level coach. Providence got Keno Davis with about as comparable a situation as currently exists.

The three attractive aspects of the job now are:
1) the available scholarships for 2011
2) proximity to Manhattan (for entertainment) and the NY suburbs (family to live)
3) the Big East

Next year's team is, at best, a one-and-done senior-laden NCAA team. That's not going to attract any elite-level coach. Providence got Keno Davis with about as comparable a situation as currently exists.

Keno Davis should have done himself a favor and waited on a bigger job. McCaffrey and Willard might be thinking the same thing

Dave dont forget the 35pt swing in the Nova game

Dave dont forget the 35pt swing in the Nova game

I give Nova the nod because a 10 point lead on them isn't much because they can score score score at the drop of a hat. Losing a 16 point lead to WVU is another story. That shouldn't have happened.

In no way should we have lost to either Rutgers or Providence those alone push us to 18 and between Cornell, Georgetown, Pitt, Louisville, and WVU we should have won at least 2 of those games which puts us at 20.

What do you mean by "no way" and "should have won"?  What happaned is what happened and that's the way it is.  Do you remember St. Bonnie, Cincinnati, Notre Dame and @Depaul on the reverse side of this coin?  Woulda, shoulda, coulda is for punters.  Not basketball teams.

In no way should we have lost to either Rutgers or Providence those alone push us to 18 and between Cornell, Georgetown, Pitt, Louisville, and WVU we should have won at least 2 of those games which puts us at 20.

What do you mean by "no way" and "should have won"?  What happaned is what happened and that's the way it is.  Do you remember St. Bonnie, Cincinnati, Notre Dame and @Depaul on the reverse side of this coin?  Woulda, shoulda, coulda is for punters.  Not basketball teams.

Sure but we should win against St. Bonny, Cincy, Harangodyless ND, and Depaul.  For a team with 9 juniors and 1 senior those should all be wins. The same goes for the games I mentioned with Rutgers and Providence. The coach should not let his team lose those games whether it falls on preparation, motivation, adjustments, whatever. We can't lose those games.

LJSA

Re: How much more attractive does last night's win make us to a new coach?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:17:09 AM »

Keno Davis should have done himself a favor and waited on a bigger job. McCaffrey and Willard might be thinking the same thing

How many seniors did his Drake team have, though? The best time to strike may have been when he did.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
but we should win against St. Bonny, Cincy, Harangodyless ND, and Depaul.

By who's decree?  We're a crappy team and have been for years.  The amount of teams you could say "we should win against" are few and mostly in the D2, D3 and JC ranks. 

Your not making any sense.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:50:35 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »
but we should win against St. Bonny, Cincy, Harangodyless ND, and Depaul.

By who's decree?  We're a crappy team and have been for years.  The amount of teams you could say "we should win against" are few and mostly in the D2, D3 and JC ranks. 

Your not making any sense.

According to my own. I watch entirely too much college basketball and I know a lot of teams very well. Our team has its short comings but they could be much better than they've shown this season. I don't think its a stretch to say we should beat St. Bonaventure or Depaul if you want to make a case for Cincy and ND you certainly can but I do think we're better than both. Cincy has talent but they have little to no structure to be consistent much like a Seton Hall.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
Bottom line:  we are a bottom 4 big east team, and have been for years.  We are the team others look at and say"we should beat them".