I don't feel good about it........

• 37 replies
Re: I don't feel good about it........
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
…  I do not think anyone outside of Father H knows exactly what is going to happen in regards to Norm.

Exactly!
All the exclusive, insider information is sometimes entertaining to read, but it’s all nonsense when you get down to it.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 01:12:34 AM »
I've been contact by a few people outside of St. John's who are hearing grumblings...

grumblings? About what?

kob24

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
if u sat down one on one with norm u would undertsand.like i said if he is let go which i highly doubt he is gonna get a head coaching job at some mid major win there for a few years and make it back to a high major and win

boo3

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
if u sat down one on one with norm u would undertsand.like i said if he is let go which i highly doubt he is gonna get a head coaching job at some mid major win there for a few years and make it back to a high major and win

Kob, i think as this season wears on, your losing your mind a bit.  What has Norm shown in his head coaching career here, and at Queens College that would lead you to believe what your saying?
 I respect your opinion on things more than anyone else on here, but i have to call you out on this.  Does he secretly tell you genious plays on a one on one basis?  He plays a lousy brand of basketball and shows no ability to adapt to another coaches adjustments.  If he goes on somewhere else and succeeds like you say, i'll eat crow. 

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
…  I do not think anyone outside of Father H knows exactly what is going to happen in regards to Norm.

Exactly!
All the exclusive, insider information is sometimes entertaining to read, but it’s all nonsense when you get down to it.

With that being said, you do understand BFF or not, if Norm were coaching ANYWHERE else he would have been fired already!

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »

Kob, I do not know if you have noticed, but I am on a bit of a roll when it comes to predicting things. While I am hesitant to predict Norm's fate at the end of this season I can say with 100% confidence that this will be Norm's last head coaching D-1 job. That is a layup!

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
wasju i would hope u of all people believe me. they are not firing him

You were right last year, KOB, but this time I think you are wrong. Norm is a goner.

I agree, Marillac.  I just have a hard time believing they can bring Norm back after this year.  The past couple of years....  I always thought there was a chance he would be back. 

I just don't believe he'll be back after this season.  I've been wrong before, but time will eventually tell.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »

Kob, I do not know if you have noticed, but I am on a bit of a roll when it comes to predicting things. While I am hesitant to predict Norm's fate at the end of this season I can say with 100% confidence that this will be Norm's last head coaching D-1 job. That is a layup!
I'm not sure that Norm will get back to a high-major, but I can see him at a mid-major.  Definitely.  He has an eye for supporting talent, the kind of guys who would be players at a mid-major level.  He's actually surprised with some wins this year - adjustments vs. Siena, beating the piss out of Louisville and South Florida.

He's wrong for this school, and he hasn't recruited a real difference-maker.  But Geno, Sean Evans, Malik Boothe, Malik Stith, and Quincy Roberts - all lightly recruited on the major conference level - would be players at a lower level (though Quincy might still be a player at this level, for all we know).  Unimpressive here doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to win - like Gary Waters at Cleveland State, like Tim Welsh did at Iona before Providence, kind of like Louis Orr at Bowling Green.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »

Kob, I have sat down with Norm.

In year 5, he was still blaming Jarvis for what he did to the program. The guy actually brought up Sylvan Landesberg, and how close they were to getting him. Then, he started to blame the lack of success on our facilities, and the internet. He said, "years ago, kids didn't know about schools like Pittsburgh." Amazing that he used that hole an an example.

The guy is even worse than Mahoney, and if he couldn't get a job, there is no way Norm will. And Mahoney was the BE COY in 92-93 with a roster of freshman, and made the NIT in 94-95.

If a school were to hire him, why skill would they be most attracted to? His game prep? His eye for talent? His ability to land a top ranked recruit? His half-time adjustments? His understanding of grammar? His willingness to credit "great teams" for waxing us?

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »

I'm not sure that Norm will get back to a high-major, but I can see him at a mid-major.  Definitely.  He has an eye for supporting talent, the kind of guys who would be players at a mid-major level.  He's actually surprised with some wins this year - adjustments vs. Siena, beating the piss out of Louisville and South Florida.

He's wrong for this school, and he hasn't recruited a real difference-maker.  But Geno, Sean Evans, Malik Boothe, Malik Stith, and Quincy Roberts - all lightly recruited on the major conference level - would be players at a lower level (though Quincy might still be a player at this level, for all we know).  Unimpressive here doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to win - like Gary Waters at Cleveland State, like Tim Welsh did at Iona before Providence, kind of like Louis Orr at Bowling Green.

How could any school justify Norm's record? 

gonzalo

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »

If he is so good, why the best New York City players don´t go to St. John´s?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »

Desperation.

He's not getting a VCU or Dayton kind of job.  More of a Towson (but they won't repeat that mistake) or Canisius or something like that.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »

Saint John's did.

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »

i have nothing against norm.  i'd like to see it.  i'd also like to see him gone from st john's.  as gonzalo points out...you love norm so much that you and other aau guys are reluctant to send your top talent here.

the record is the thing.  the record shows norm is the worst coach in queens college history.  it shows he's the worst coach in big east history.  i wouldn't let my son ruin his career playing for norm. neither would you.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
Norm MIGHT get a low-major D-1 job.  I think he'll become an assistant somewhere for sure next year or the year after.  A few years will move on and some lowly D-1 team will take a chance on him. 

I do not think he will succeed.  Nothing in his past as a head coach suggests he will.  He failed MISERABLY at Queens College--a school that completely rebounded and was very good after he left.  He failed miserably at St. John's. 

I think he'll get a low-major shot at some point.  I don't think he'll get a mid-major opportunity. 

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
just a havard educated guess

Then I'm praying for our sake you didnt go to harvard :)

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
It would be absolutely stunning if Norm is retained. But it appears based o a lot of opinion he may stay. Wow.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
No one knows, thatswhatsup.  No one knows.  Our opinions don't mean anything.  They're just educated guesses.