Ron won't come if Norm is let go [NY Post]

• 14 replies

boo3

Ron won't come if Norm is let go [NY Post]
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_around_norm_JVw9vJ5fXyCmEamks6vcjL

Mark Jackson feel Norm should be the SJU coach forever!  What is this , bizarro world?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:39:18 PM by Dave »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Post reports Ron won't come if Norm is let go.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
Things happen. Sometimes, recruits are lost.  Be better if Roberts gave the new coach a chance, but things happen.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »
Knowing our luck in the past 10 years, Ronald Roberts will probably end up being a more athletic Ryan Gomes for 4 years and a guy we will look back on as a program changer. 

No matter what happens, the first call the new head coach makes should be to this kid. 

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
He signed a LOI. He's not going anywhere until the new coach can find someone better.
And that's the way it should be. The kid knew the risk coming in. It was no secret that Norm's job was on the line.

It's not like he's going to have to pay his way here. The only thing that's changing is that now we'll have a coach in
place who can actually coach.

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
I don't get it... Mark Jackson wants to coach St. John's but then states that he hopes Norm Roberts is the coach here forever? Why would Jackson wish that upon us?  Is he mad that he will probably be passed up for the job so he wants the school and the fans to suffer?

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
He signed a LOI. He's not going anywhere until the new coach can find someone better.
And that's the way it should be. The kid knew the risk coming in. It was no secret that Norm's job was on the line.

It's not like he's going to have to pay his way here. The only thing that's changing is that now we'll have a coach in

Schools usually let the players out of a LOI when there is a coaching change.  If Memphis did it with Calipari and all his recruits, there is high probability that St. Johns would do the same. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
I don't get it... Mark Jackson wants to coach St. John's but then states that he hopes Norm Roberts is the coach here forever? Why would Jackson wish that upon us?  Is he mad that he will probably be passed up for the job so he wants the school and the fans to suffer?
Only jerks like Gary Carter start lobbying for a job in the media before the coach is actually fired.  (Carter lost points w me for doing that while Willie Randolph was still Mets coach.)

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »

Schools usually let the players out of a LOI when there is a coaching change.  If Memphis did it with Calipari and all his recruits, there is high probability that St. Johns would do the same.

Like Chudney Gray. wit Manhattan and St. John.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
my guess...he was told by monasch that the school isn't interested, so he's taking the gracious way out.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
Who cares if Roberts comes?  He isn't even top 100.  Bye. 

The new coach will likely bring a player or recruit of his own better than Roberts.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
my guess...he was told by monasch that the school isn't interested, so he's taking the gracious way out.

Hopefully

kjd01067

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
Only jerks like Gary Carter start lobbying for a job in the media before the coach is actually fired.  (Carter lost points w me for doing that while Willie Randolph was still Mets coach.)

I'm not saying he should be campaigning for the job.  I guess what bothered me is when he said that Norm should be the coach forever.  I understand Mark wants to be politically correct but he could of just said Norm is doing a good job (false but he could of said it). 

Re: Ron won't come if Norm is let go [NY Post]
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
I agree. It's not like Ron Roberts is Kevin Garnett!. He's good but not an impact player by any stretch. He's not even better than Jayvon. If he doesn't come big deal. In typical NY fashion you guys are overhyping this kid and setting yourself up for disappointment and blame tossing.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
that "i hope norm is here forever" quote sounds like a "#$%^ you" from a guy who wasn't considered.

too bad since i think mark jackson would be a home run.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
that "i hope norm is here forever" quote sounds like a "#$%^ you" from a guy who wasn't considered.

too bad since i think mark jackson would be a home run.

Homerun??? Maybe double at best. This guy has zero coaching experience in a league of HOFers. I love MJ but I wish he at least was on the sidelines before.