Last Ditch Effort to Land Top Recruit[NY post]

• 39 replies
Re: Last Ditch Effort to Land Top Recruit[NY post]
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
I think it was said today he's postponing his decision.  That can only mean good things that at least we have a puncher's chance.

"Might Delay"

Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance'
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
Maybe we should ask how much it will cost to get this kid?

You're insufferable.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
only definite sign youll get if hes really considering us if he pushes his announcement date back...doubt hes as dumb as lance where he pushes his date back to ultimately choose a team not even on his list

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
only definite sign youll get if hes really considering us if he pushes his announcement date back...doubt hes as dumb as lance where he pushes his date back to ultimately choose a team not even on his list

dont see how thats a dumb thing. he discovered a diferent school. although i think st jonhs would have been the better choice.

also how cool would it be if doron didnt push his decision back and announced st johns at the garden
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »
also how cool would it be if doron didnt push his decision back and announced st johns at the garden

It would be hella cool, if that was the case.  It would be a shocker and would put the Big East on notice.

Quite frankly, I hope he delays his announcement and then that would give me more faith that he is seriously thinking about attending St. John's.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
Maybe we should ask how much it will cost to get this kid?

You're insufferable.

+1

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 07:52:32 AM »
I thin we've got at least a shot.  The delay is great.   I read his mom in an alum of STJ as well.
You pitch to the parents that they can see all of his games and stay close to him.

You pitch to him and his dad that because he is 6'3/6'4 he is going ot have to have some seroius pg skills to get a look at the next level.  We need a PG to get us not only over teh hump to the NCAA but to advance a few rounds in it.  Then hit them with all the guards you have helped get to the pro-level as a coach....that your staff will include a former NBA coach/trainer and another former NBA Director of Player Development.  No staff in the country can match that. 

Poison

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »
I have no idea why getting involved late should make an ounce of difference. The kid is from Queens, and he hasn't picked a school yet.
We're down the street. He's been there before. Every city baller has been there before. 

That's got be the dumbest excuse we could be given.

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »

Poison - why do you think st johns should be able to get any kid from nyc we want, no matter when we start recruiting them, unless as you say "they don't have balls."

You act like every kid who leaves the city is a scared little chicken. It takes guts to leave your home too. I don't get your angle. Please enlighten me.  Doron has been showed love by lots of teams.  Just bc he hasn't decided, doesn't mean he can't have very strong bonds with other coaches and programs that will be insurmountable for us. 

We've got a chance, but the deck is certainly stacked against us.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »

Poison - why do you think st johns should be able to get any kid from nyc we want, no matter when we start recruiting them, unless as you say "they don't have balls."

You act like every kid who leaves the city is a scared little chicken. It takes guts to leave your home too. I don't get your angle. Please enlighten me.  Doron has been showed love by lots of teams.  Just bc he hasn't decided, doesn't mean he can't have very strong bonds with other coaches and programs that will be insurmountable for us. 

We've got a chance, but the deck is certainly stacked against us.

I don't think that SJU should be able to get every kid they want. I never said that.

But I think that there is a growing perception that our facilities are not up to par, or as I like to say, pretty enough for certain personalities. Let me be very clear. I firmly believe that any kid that choose a school based on their facilities is a woman.

Are you choosing a school for the window treatments?

To answer your question about having balls, I do not think that every kid who leaves is gutless, although many are. Landesberg, for example, was full of it when he said he chose Virginia because of their academic standing. Anyone who so is so serious about academics isn't even applying here.

It is not that recruits are gutless for leaving their hometown, but rather that they would need one serious set of balls to play for SJU, and sign up for the media attention and pressure that goes along with it.

If Kevin Jones fails at West Virginia, he's erased. No one even notices that he was ever there. He can transfer to some crappy mid-western school, and have a normal, and probably simple life. Curtis Kelly went to Uconn, and he was a late bloomer, and they sent him packing. Imagine if he came here with the hype he took with him to Uconn, and he sucked. He'd never hear the end of it.

The difference is, at a powerhouse like Uconn, they can basically show him the door, and no one even blinks. We need a kid who says he wants to bring SJU back, and we need him to mean it. Because if an AA kid like Lamb comes here, you had better believe the media coverage will be there from the moment the ball goes up.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:58:31 AM by Poison »

Tha Kid

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
OK that makes sense.  But look at the other side, man.  Kevin Jones went to play for Bob Huggins - one of the winningest coaches of all-time.  He went with a BUNCh of NYC kids.  They got to the Final Four.  Would Kevin Jones be known nationally like he is now if he had come to St. John's?  Looks like the kid made a good decision for his game AND for his career (considering Norm was our coach).

Perhaps the last few years, Poison, people have been saying "oh the facilitiesaren't up to par" and what they really mean is "Coach Roberts scares the hell out of me, I'm never going to play for him, but he's a nice dude so I'll blame it on something else and keep him in the running."

I don't think ANY kid is gutless for not playing under Coach Roberts, though everyone who DID and who had other big time offers certainly had GUTS.  Kids want to play where they can get to the NBA.  Roberts wasn't capable of selling that.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
Curtis Kelly looked good on KState
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
Curtis Kelly looked good on KState

Exactly.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
So if Lamb decides to go elsewhere, who should be next on the list?

Why doesnt Ron Roberts want to come to St Johns?

boo3

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:38 PM »

He liked Norm?

pmg911

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »

I think its more like . . why doesn't Steve Lavin want Ron Roberts..?

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »

Another good question, anyone have an answer?

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »

Polee.  As athletic a big man as I've ever seen off of that highlight video.  WOW.

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »

Polee.  As athletic a big man as I've ever seen off of that highlight video.  WOW.

no kidding, after watching that the only guy ive ever seen dunk like that is james white. in my opinion, probably the best dunker of all time. he actually reminds me a lot of white, similar build freakish athleticism. when it was all said and done white turned himself into a pretty nice player in college

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »

no kidding, after watching that the only guy ive ever seen dunk like that is james white. in my opinion, probably the best dunker of all time. he actually reminds me a lot of white, similar build freakish athleticism. when it was all said and done white turned himself into a pretty nice player in college

I agree.  White is the only guy I can say that dunks like that.  In the video he took a guy's shot and CAUGHT it with both hands above the rim before it started to come down.  Holy crap!!

In the highlights at least he had a few nice moves off the bounce (just 2 dribble or so) and flashed a change of pace and a jump stop.  I have no idea how tall he actually is (although he looks long as hell) or how he plays defensively, but I would take him over Ron Roberts based on what is posted on youtube.  I have nothing else to go by.

I keep looking for that next Hakim Warrick--the 6'7/6'8 face-up four that is so absurdly quick and such a devesting dunker that he cannot be contained on the college level.  I thought Roberts could be that guy, but Polee has a much better shot IMO.