Pitino to STJ?

• 25 replies
Re: Pitino to STJ?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »
St. John's has money or if they don't they sure through it around loosely for different clubs and organizations on campus
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
well...Pitino makes about $2.75 million per season through 2013...and this does not include retention bonuses that boost it to $4 million per and shoe deals that push it to over $5 million...then add to the fact that the AD is ready to outbid anyone.  I doubt he misses NY that much...stop being delusional.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »
well...Pitino makes about $2.75 million per season through 2013...and this does not include retention bonuses that boost it to $4 million per and shoe deals that push it to over $5 million...then add to the fact that the AD is ready to outbid anyone.  I doubt he misses NY that much...stop being delusional.

Money is not an over riding decision for this man...

I have talked to several people in the past few days that know Coach Pitino very well..   they don't think he will come here at this point but they didn't say its an impossible thought...

One of them specifically said that money would not be a factor. . the man is VERY wealthy and to quote the guy..  "Coach Pitino's grandchildren are set for life.." They thought if he ever came to St. John's it would be because he & his wife mande a choice to finish his career close to their respective families...

That being said..  let me say again..  they didn't think this was happening..

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
as i mentioned....sju can afford it. the question is whether the administration will pay for it. read the daily news this morning and it appears people close to the administration mentions they will honor roberts for year 5...

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
I think that the SJU administration having money and paying it to an athletics coach are two different things. Louisville's athletic department has money because the bball program is profitable. So they funnel the money right back in.

SJU, I'm assuming has money to compete on this from academia, real estate deals in the city and other assets.

Why would they spend that on basketball given that there are no guarantees Pitino will make them a ton of money? It could be a financial black hole...especially if you agree to pay him 4 million or higher annually.

Now the argument about Pitino not needing money at this point and taking a pay cut is valid. If he wants NYC and doesn't want top dollar than he would go to SJU. That I won't deny.

But to me its ludicrous that your administration would pay the same as Louisville when you bring a fraction of the money.  It just doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:53:13 PM by CardsfanfromBoston »

Randomhero423

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
pitino can make STJ A LOT of money.  espically next year!  NYC hoops is absolutely horrible right now with the knicks, nets.  HS bball is good but still. 

if pitino makes us a top 25 team, we'll sell out MSG again because nyc is starving for a good team and because we'd be good.

the admin has got to understand if you spend money on something good, you'll get more back.