Montrezl Harrell - PF - N Edgecombe Magnet HS - Tarboro, NC

• 16 replies

wpc77

According to Ace Rothstein, Montrezl Harrell has gotten a release from his LOI to VaTech.  I have a friend who helped recruit him to South Carolina (until the coaching change there in March).  Said he plays above his size and rebounds and defends very well.  6'7'' but would fit in well with what we are trying to do, as he is pretty mobile despite being 235 lbs.  Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, and Miami were the schools he previously listed. Wonder if they still have room.

Re: Montrezl Harrell - PF - N Edgecombe Magnet HS - Tarboro, NC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
I think all eggs are in the Michael Chandler basket. They need a guy who's going to be REAL big down low and that's what they're targeting. If they don't find someone for that role, I hope they conserve the scholly and use it on someone for next year.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
I think all eggs are in the Michael Chandler basket. They need a guy who's going to be REAL big down low and that's what they're targeting. If they don't find someone for that role, I hope they conserve the scholly and use it on someone for next year.

Agree wholeheartedly.  I think it should be Chandler or bust unless another stud becomes available. We have lots of depth this year and more than enough size to get by without reaching.  This guy sounds good, but not a need spot for us.  We can save the ship going into next year and fill for 2013 class.  I'm still hoping Chandler comes through. 

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »
According to Ace Rothstein, Montrezl Harrell has gotten a release from his LOI to VaTech.  I have a friend who helped recruit him to South Carolina (until the coaching change there in March).  Said he plays above his size and rebounds and defends very well.  6'7'' but would fit in well with what we are trying to do, as he is pretty mobile despite being 235 lbs.  Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, and Miami were the schools he previously listed. Wonder if they still have room.
Harrell was more impressive seeing him in person at the 39th annual Capital City Classic (Harrell was MVP).  Dude is relentless on both ends.  Might need some work on the 15-18 ft jumper, but imho he is under-rated in the 80s ranking.

Harrell will play hard every second he is on the floor. I see him being a top player if he develops the jumper to allow him to fully utilize the quick first step to the hole in high D1 ball.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
St. John's already has its fill of athletic, relentless players who need to work on their 15-17 foot jumper (Garrett, Pointer, Greene). He just doesn't seem like a need at this point. The team's success hinges on defense and rebounding; we need a real big to solidify that.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
St. John's already has its fill of athletic, relentless players who need to work on their 15-17 foot jumper (Garrett, Pointer, Greene). He just doesn't seem like a need at this point. The team's success hinges on defense and rebounding; we need a real big to solidify that.

What we dont have is a back to the basket post player. Thats what this kid is. Look up "Bridgton vs Hargrove" on youtube. The kid is 24 in red and he is a beast. Also get to see garrett and Wood in action.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Former Virginia Tech commit Montrezl Harrell will visit Louisville May 31-June 2, source confirms to @SNYtv”

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Former Virginia Tech commit Montrezl Harrell will visit Louisville May 31-June 2, source confirms to @SNYtv”

Scout had a story basically implying that they are the leaders for his services.  Would be a terrific late pick up for Pitino especially since they are already largely thought to be the pre-season favorite in the BE this coming season.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »

Scout had a story basically implying that they are the leaders for his services.  Would be a terrific late pick up for Pitino especially since they are already largely thought to be the pre-season favorite in the BE this coming season.

Yea strong getting even stronger.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
Donovan is coaching him in USA hoops, perhaps going head to head with his mentor.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
His father told Joe Davis of scoutsfocus his top 4 are: Louisville, Cincy, Alabama and Florida. 

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

They already have Behanen...seems like a good redshirt prospect.

Happy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

They already have Behanen...seems like a good redshirt prospect.

At this stage .. He can choose virtually any school he wants.. Why would he pick a school where he would redshirt?

Moose

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
The only player Lville has signed for next year has serious academic question marks.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »
Rich get richer!

“@DaveTelep: Montrezl Harrell is a Louisville Cardinal per his coach, AW Hamilton. Signed and signed off on by his family.”

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »
Rich get richer!

“@DaveTelep: Montrezl Harrell is a Louisville Cardinal per his coach, AW Hamilton. Signed and signed off on by his family.”

Pitino loaded for next year.

Could he get a Va Tech double dip as well?  I know he just hosted current Va Tech guard Finney-Smith who is transferring.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
BTW-Just as a sidebar this signing is the example of how the 2 year staff rule does not apply.  Harrell's old Hargrave coach was hired last year by Pitino to be one of his 3 main assistants, Kevin Keatts.  That is as opposed to hiring him in an administrative role which would have precluded Pitino from recruiting Harrell.