St. John's Notes from Jon Rothstein's "This and That" [MSG.com]

• 15 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
St. John's Notes from Jon Rothstein's "This and That" [MSG.com]
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
http://www.msg.com/blogs/jon-rothstein/this-and-that-around-college-basketball-9-24-1.50237

- St. John's head coach Steve Lavin has always loved length in his frontcourts at UCLA and his time with the Red Storm should be no different. Lavin is encouraged by what he sees from the combination of seniors D.J. Kennedy and Justin Brownlee on the baseline with freshman high-flyer Dwayne Polee.

I hate to directly rip a player but I hope if that lineup is playing major minutes, Lavin (and perhaps "Coach Dunlap's Bat" of responsibility) continually remind Justin Brownlee what a good shot is.  Unguarded 3's with 20+ seconds left on the clock for a 21% 3-point shooter are probably not the best idea.

- Lavin also has been encouraged by the play of senior point guard Malik Boothe in pre-season workouts and is pairing him with fellow senior Dwight Hardy in the backcourt. Hardy played the point in spurts last year for Norm Roberts but needs to play off the ball to maximize his scoring.

Moose

Re: St. John's Notes from Jon Rothstein's "This and That" [MSG.com]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
These updates and tweets from Rothstein every day make me chuckle.  He has heard, or sources have told him or sometimes he flat out says this guy is going to blow up or that guy is shooting it great in workouts.  Is there ever anything negative he writes about?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
Moose, what coach is going to tell a reporter anything negative in the offseason? Its the time of year where everyone has hope.

I do like that Boothe is separating himself from Stith and I want to see Boothe play like he did at the end of last season. If he does we will do well. He's a very important part to this team like it or not.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »
These updates and tweets from Rothstein every day make me chuckle.  He has heard, or sources have told him or sometimes he flat out says this guy is going to blow up or that guy is shooting it great in workouts.  Is there ever anything negative he writes about?
Lol
The Ithaca College product seems to want to be a modern Hoops Weiss or a local Andy Katz, at 140 characters. Positive tweets in exchange for access.

This year, I was at about 90% of the major recruiting events (missed the Peach Jam, the Orlando Showcase, TOC, and, if you want to consider it, the weakened Rumble in the Bronx) this AAU season and I've literally never seen him. I sent him a tweet twice asking if he had ever seen any of these kids that he was writing laudatory things about, outside of the NY/NJ/CT area. No response. Goodman, Daniels, and others can knock Zagoria, but at least he'll make games in Manhattan and northern NJ. As the expression goes, this emperor has no clothes.

http://twitter.com/jonrothstein
This is what he looks like.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
Moose, what coach is going to tell a reporter anything negative in the offseason? Its the time of year where everyone has hope.

I do like that Boothe is separating himself from Stith and I want to see Boothe play like he did at the end of last season. If he does we will do well. He's a very important part to this team like it or not.

How bout being a critical where need be and not being a middle man to prop up a player?  Yeah no coach is going to put down a player but thats what a college basketball analyst/reporter should do and I believe thats what he serves as for MSG.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »

How bout being a critical where need be and not being a middle man to prop up a player?  Yeah no coach is going to put down a player but thats what a college basketball analyst/reporter should do and I believe thats what he serves as for MSG.

I agree but is he an analyst? I think he is more along the lines of a reporter. Regardless I'm not sure he can analyze anything if he hasn't seen them play yet. He's supposed to be watching a practice next week so we'll see if his rosey red reports get a little bit more substance. I'm not defending him but I just think he's repeating what he's heard at this point in time.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
 Rothstein is a baffoon

Moose

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »

I agree but is he an analyst? I think he is more along the lines of a reporter. Regardless I'm not sure he can analyze anything if he hasn't seen them play yet. He's supposed to be watching a practice next week so we'll see if his rosey red reports get a little bit more substance. I'm not defending him but I just think he's repeating what he's heard at this point in time.

His Twitter page says "College Basketball Insider"
haha

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Eh, you guys are being harsh on him. I don't expect much substance from him outside of games - or most announcers, reporters, or writers.  Even in games, announcers don't go off on who sucks - only Doug Gottlieb does that.  Even the analyst guys hold off on being critical. If anything, they'll just not talk about a player.  (If I'm wrong, tell me who is a critical non-national writer. The only guy I can think of is Doyel, and he's national.)

If they did, we'd have heard more about how St. John's was crap for the last few years.  I take Rothstein's info for what it is - a look at what the coaches like, and what they're NOT talking about, which can be telling. For example - haven't heard a damned thing about Justin and Dele this offseason.  I take that to mean that there are players the staff likes more - the mentions of Stith, Paris, Boothe, now Polee/ Kennedy/ Brownlee.

I'm not using Rothstein's info to lay bets or anything. And as we all know, all coaches say great things about players, and many players are awesome in practice.  Doesn't matter til you see them when the games count.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Doyel would criticize mother Theresa if given the opportunity that guy is nuts. You're right though, Peter, there really isn't much to go on.

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Moose,

Of all the things, it's "missing" on Sledge  ;)

[tweet]http://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/25699174925[/tweet]

Tough recruiting break for @stj_basketball today as Tavon Sledge picks Iowa State over Johnnies....Red Storm still needs PG in 2011 class
14 minutes ago via web

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 01:20:12 AM »

Hey guys, just because I look like "The Joker" from Batman doesn't mean I deserve to be treated disrespectfully.  :'( :'(

"College Basketball Insider" for MSG Network.  Talk Show Host for 1050 ESPN NY. Studio Host for Compass Media Networks.  Lover of flimsy, non-critical analysis and Mike Rice.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
I wish Sledge all the best, but I've had my fill of tiny point guards.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »
Moose,

Tough recruiting break for @stj_basketball today as Tavon Sledge picks Iowa State over Johnnies....Red Storm still needs PG in 2011 class
14 minutes ago via web

lol tweet deleted

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »
Moose,

14 minutes ago via web

lol tweet deleted

;)  Wow, if handling 90 second score updates for Michael Kay proves too daunting, he's got a future in public relations (as a college SID) or, at least, as a YES announcer.

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
Moose,

14 minutes ago via web

lol tweet deleted

;)  Wow, if handling 90 second score updates for Michael Kay proves too daunting, he's got a future in public relations (as a college SID) or, at least, as a YES announcer.

Excuse me, sarcastic remarks aside, I would be GREAT as a college SID.  I am already in bed with a SOLID number of coaches (just check my name-dropping tweets on Twitter), and I already go overboard in giving said-coaches positive press.  Just ask my good buddy, Mike Rice!!

By the way, have I mentioned that I look FREAKISHLY like "The Joker" from Batman?!

"College Basketball Insider" for MSG Network.  Talk Show Host for 1050 ESPN NY. Studio Host for Compass Media Networks.  Lover of flimsy, non-critical analysis and Mike Rice.