Series with Fighting Illini?

• 8 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Series with Fighting Illini?
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
http://www.illinihq.com/news/mens_basketball/2010/09/24/klees_corner_st_johns_illini_7-footers_coaches_clinic

-STEVE LAVIN's hiring at St. John's could impact the Illinois schedule in coming seasons. Lavin, who began his career at Purdue, is close with the Illinois staff. GENE KEADY is now a special assistant at St. John's. Weber acknowledged an Illinois-St. John's series is a possibility in the future.

"I think it would be - if we could play in Madison Square Garden and they could come to Chicago - a good thing," Weber said.

-Illinois will play in New York City in November, and Weber said the Illini have been approached to play in another New York event in the near future. "We have to make a decision on whether we want to do it," he said. Illinois also has UNLV lined up for its United Center game in 2011. So a St. John's series wouldn't come for a few years.

"It depends what we do," he said. "Down the road it would be a good thing."

Re: Series with Fighting Illini?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »
I like diversifying our schedule. Winning these types of games will give us a national recruiting edge in addition to overall exposure. Illinois is one tough place to play though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
From the article it seems that they would do it in the United Center rather than at Champaign.

Then again, the fan support in Chicago would be thick, and they have been getting some Chicago players as well, so it would be a tough road game.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
A way to entice Phil Greene as well?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »
There is no easy place to play in the Big 10. Bruce Weber had a couple of down years because he's an honest guy.

He lost Eric Gordon to Indiana, among others because he plays fair. That said, he's got a serious class coming in, and the Illini are going to be strong.

Personally, I'd like to see us continue to play UCLA, Duke and if we add the Illini, I'm good. We can fill up the rest with local garbage.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »
There is no easy place to play in the Big 10. Bruce Weber had a couple of down years because he's an honest guy.

He lost Eric Gordon to Indiana, among others because he plays fair. That said, he's got a serious class coming in, and the Illini are going to be strong.

Personally, I'd like to see us continue to play UCLA, Duke and if we add the Illini, I'm good. We can fill up the rest with local garbage.

Exactly! I would rather keep the series with Duke

Poison

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
The Illini have great fans. Our ass**** fan base should watch and learn.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
Where does Duke go out the window because of this?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
Wasn't Duke going to end the series with us at one point?

I believe, but i do not have any first hand knowledge, that they were just as frustrated with the apathy as we were.