New era for Lavin, St. John's [NY Post]

• 1 replies
New era for Lavin, St. John's [NY Post]
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
St. John's media and fans saw the public Steve Lavin yesterday, wearing a natty charcoal gray suit, Clorox-white shirt, diagonally striped navy and off-white tie and a smile that looked like the giant Hollywood sign.

What few have seen, as Lavin has kept practices closed, is a demanding, relentless, approach to transforming the Red Storm from gritty contenders to winners.

Practice is no longer at 4 p.m., it's at 6 a.m.

"To be honest, the first time my alarm went off, I wanted to cry," said senior point guard Malik Boothe, not the only player to have been pushed to the breaking point by Lavin; his drill sergeant, Mike Dunlap; and assistants Rico Hines, Tony Chiles and veteran Gene Keady, who roared to Lavin in a recent practice that the players had such lousy spacing, one grenade could kill them all.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_rising_9lIXLCSVGTJWOPoRaYBq0K#ixzz14LhKXYOU
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

Re: New era for Lavin, St. John's [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
his drill sergeant, Mike Dunlap

I think Dunlap is going to be a big key to our success.  He is exactly what this team has need the last 6 years.  I would have been happy with Dunlap as a head coach candidate but I'm ecstatic we got Lavin and Dunlap!