Stout R/W Reception

• 8 replies
Stout R/W Reception
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
Who was there? How did it go? Did you enjoy yourself?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

Re: Stout R/W Reception
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
There is some excellent feedback on the event on Redmen.com

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »

I bet. There are some older diehards there. Anyone from here go? Did you PMG?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
I was there. Lavin actually remembered talking to me at the Metrpolitan Club 7 months ago.

He's just amazing. I didn't even ask, but he offered up this: 12-13 will be the year we break out on the national stage.

He thinks this current team can improve, but my party all agreed that he isn't setting any expectations on them.

That said, he called out Dwight Hardy's improvement, Justin Brownlee's recent improvement and when asked about Burrell, he said, they will bring him along slowly.

There is no starting 5 set.

He said that we need on free throw shooting and being more patient with the ball.

Players not mentioned once: Quincy Roberts and Malik Stith. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:17:23 PM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »

I bet. There are some older diehards there. Anyone from here go? Did you PMG?

I didn't attend, was home with my little ladies.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
I was there. Lavin actually remembered talking to me at the Metrpolitan Club 7 months ago.

He's just amazing. I didn't even ask, but he offered up this: 12-13 will be the year we break out on the national stage.

He thinks this current team can improve, but my party all agreed that he isn't setting any expectations on them.

That said, he called out Dwight Hardy's improvement, Justin Brownlee's recent improvement and when asked about Burrell, he said, they will being him along slowly.

There is no starting 5 set.

He said that we need on free throw shooting and being more patient with the ball.

Players not mentioned once: Quincy Roberts and Malik Stith. Hmmm.
I really hope he develops them a little.  A team of ALL newcomers?  Yeesh.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
Peter, the feeling I got was that he does not want to blamed for this current team's performance.

He's looking down the road, and while I hope we dance this year, so am I!!!

He was also very clear about not putting ridiculous expectations on our freshman in 11-12. He said they'll all be young, and it wouldn't be fair.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
Which is true. I am just hoping for a winning record in 11-12, which isn't a guarantee with little paint presence (so far. Even Pelle wouldn't mean they have a force offensively in the paint) and 10 newcomers.  What we're going to see next year is pretty much unprecedented; Kentucky's not a good example because they had a number of top 25 players (aka future pros who might just be ready but have to do their apprenticeship year in the NCAA) or Providence, who didn't have top 100 talents coming in last year (and a few mainstays in Sharaud Curry, etc).

Unfortunately, Indiana 2009 might be the closer comp.  They went 6-25.  But St. John's will bring in better talent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:03:04 AM by peter »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
Indiana 2009 was still reeling from their Jarvis like collapse. I'd expect our uber talented freshman to be competitive in the BE, but i certainly don't expect them to win it.

The thing is with any freshman group, you set expectations low, and if by chance they exceed them, you smile and thank the bball Gods.