The Perfect Storm Rages On [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 10 replies
The Perfect Storm Rages On [JohnnyJungle.com]
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:39:02 AM »
St. John’s finally takes the court for the first time in the 2010-11 season thirteen days from now when they tip off against St. Mary’s to officially commence the Steve Lavin era. However, as only its New York City locale can do, the hoopla surrounding the Johnnies and the first seven months of the Lavin administration continues to reach crescendos that had been unknown by the program since its 1999 Elite Eight appearance. The most honorable aspect of this additional media attention, you might ask? Lavin and his young charges have refused to let the publicity go to their heads for the most part, and their 46-year-old head man credits the pragmatic approach employed by world-renowned UCLA coach John Wooden and newly minted special assistant Gene Keady as the primary reason why he and his team has remained so humble.....

.....Continue Reading....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: The Perfect Storm Rages On [JohnnyJungle.com]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:02:33 AM »
“Any program that starts to make a move up the ladder to become more competitive needs the energy and support of their fan base,”

Students? Time to show some self respect.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
“Any program that starts to make a move up the ladder to become more competitive needs the energy and support of their fan base,”

Students? Time to show some self respect.

Doesn't apply to just students. I see the students clapping and yelling while the rest of the fan base looks like they're sitting on their hands.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
  the dopes behind us tell us to "sit

down" whenever we are enthusiastic: all older fans. i'm 62 and will gladly stand and cheer all and every game.  if you want to be quiet go to your local library or cemetery.... the culture of the FANS needs a tune-up.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
When you're 65, you've earned the right to
sit. No offense Dave, but 25-30 students aren't earning enough to respect to stand.

Student sections are strong in numbers. Get out to the game, and you will control it.

Continue the apathy, and security would throw you out. They don't throw out Nova, Syracuse or WV when their fans charge the floor, because they are simply out numbered.

We create that environment, and security will be afraid to rock the boat. That said, I expect Lavin to have a strong influence in student involvement.

He knows this program needs a 180.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:55:49 PM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »
College basketball is all about the students. They deserve to stand just because they are students. It doesn't matter how many there are. There is no magic number saying > X you can stand vs sit.

Those 30 kids are louder than 3,000 and I think thats the biggest problem.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
Dave, with all due respect, a student section of 30 people at Alumni Hall isn't going to make a difference.

If that's what they're putting out there, then shame on the entire student body. They don't deserve a basketball team.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »
Dave, with all due respect, a student section of 30 people at Alumni Hall isn't going to make a difference.

If that's what they're putting out there, then shame on the entire student body. They don't deserve a basketball team.

I don't think you grasp the point I'm trying to make.

The students are the least worry. They show up, they cheer, they make CA noisy. There is NO aid from the rest of the crowd. Also there is a lot more than 30 students at the games anyways so you're exaggerating.

Do I think there can be more students at the games? Absolutely.

We need the arena to rise up for something besides free t-shirts.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
Dave, SJU has 19,000+ students, and this is college basketball. At SJU, this team, is their college team.

I'm sorry, but it is 100% their responsibility to fill those seats.

As far as people making noise, I stand by what I said earlier, if you're a senior citizen, you're allowed to go to the game, and simply watch.

These kids need to find done self respect.
I for one, would love to see them standing out in the freezing cold waiting for the chance to see a game. And while they're a waiting, perhaps some of them would get frost bite.

And if they don't want in that badly after Lavin has built a winner, then guess what? The boosters will take over those seats, and the students will be locked out.

The student bandwagon starts now. They had better get on, or else.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
I see Kentucky and Kansas people yelling....I see Duke and UNC yelling.

The students do their part already how can you fault them?

Poison

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
I'm not faulting the 30 that go. I'm faulting the students who don't go to games.