Storm of the Century- St. John's drops 100 on Westmont [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 2 replies
For members of the media, an exhibition game is usually the first chance to see a team up close and personal since practice is generally shielded from broadcasters and beat writers. That’s why there was a vested interest in how Steve Lavin’s unofficial debut as head coach of St. John’s would turn out, despite the fact that Westmont College was not exactly a household name across the country. Nevertheless, the Lavin era commenced with authority and an uptempo style that was a pleasant contrast from the defensive-oriented Red Storm squads of years past with a 100-42 Johnnies victory against a Westmont team coached by John Moore, Lavin’s brother-in-law. “I think my brother-in-law has a lot to look forward to. He had them ready and he had them executing very well.” Moore said in Westmont’s press release.

Not only did the Johnnies play a different style on the offensive side of the ball, they also debuted a 1-3-1 to open up the game on the defensive end and a 2-3 matchup zone to begin the 2nd half, a far cry from Roberts’ man-to-man matchups. Lavin’s lineup of Malik Boothe, Dwight Hardy, DJ Kennedy, Dwayne Polee and Justin Brownlee was much longer and athletic than any quintet that took the court in the past.

Continue Reading...Exclusive quotes from Steve Lavin, DJ Kennedy, and Dwight Hardy

Keep reading JohnnyJungle.com for all the latest news on St. John's Basketball

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:30:49 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Storm of the Century- St. John's drops 100 on Westmont [JohnnyJungle.com]
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
I thought the guys played well. I'm not sold on the zone yet but it was interesting to hear what DJ and Dwight said about it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

Re: Storm of the Century- St. John's drops 100 on Westmont [JohnnyJungle.com]
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
I thought the guys played well. I'm not sold on the zone yet but it was interesting to hear what DJ and Dwight said about it.

I like the zone a lot.  My only concern with it is rebounding.  I think Lavin is going to want to play small and rebounding out of a zone defense is difficult to begin with and then you add in the smaller line up and it gets me a little worried.  With Dunlap and Keady on the staff I am not too worried though, these guys know strategic and tactical basketball, so I doubt we will have to worry about in game and half time adjustments or lack thereof like years past.