Gael vs Storm [Calm Before the Storm]

• 14 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Gael vs Storm [Calm Before the Storm]
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
While many less-enlightened people will be deep in slumber on Monday night/ Tuesday morning, resting to wake up for work or for school or to work on their art or their hustle, St. John's basketball will tip-off what could be one the the Red Storm's most exciting seasons.  The team travels to Bay Area suburb Moraga to play the tough St. Mary's Gaels of the West Coast conference, who have won more than 80% of their games at home.

Maybe in five or ten years, this game won't mean as much; maybe it will be a blip, or better yet, what looks in retrospect to be a foregone conclusion given the Red Storm's national cred (in ten years).

But right now, the die-hards are adjusting their internal clocks.  The west coast Johnny fans are looking into tickets. So many people are excited for a resurgence of the team from that school on Union and Utopia, for a re-emergence of New York's Team....

READ MORE....

Poison

Re: Gael vs Storm [Calm Before the Storm]
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I didn't realize the cult offspring landed here.

Rob Jones got a lot of attention when he helped knock off Uconn a few years ago.

He was good.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Great job Peter!! Made me even more pumped for the game!!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
I think the most interesting matchup is Mickey McConnell and Matthew Dellavedova vs Dwight Hardy/Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
The biggest key to victory is how will Brownlee, Burrell, Coker, Evans be able to insert themselves into the paint? Can Polee bang against the St. Mary's bigs?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
I know St. Mary's doesn't have a bunch of huge guys down low but such a small starting lineup still concerns me. I like Brownlee and Polee at the four or three but neither can guard a 5. Im hoping Burrell will find his way into the starting lineup because we need his size and strength. As for St. Mary's we have to keep our turnovers to a minimum and play in your face defense. If we stay on them and don't let them kill us from 3 pt land we will win. SJU 74-SMU 71.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
We may start small but we don't have to stay small. We have to wear  them down with our depth and hit some shots. On defense we have to guard the 3 point line. The key this game as well as the season is the point guard matchup. Boothe was the best player on the court against Westmont. He ran the offense well and scored. If he plays well and contains their PG we win. SJU 73 ST. Marys 67 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
re: Jim Jones' grandkid - I forgot about that.  That's a hell of a thing to live down.

And don't get it twisted - St. Mary's has a lot of size. 3 6'9" guys will likely play.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm pumped. A win would be awesome.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
I should have added, they space the floor a little like Cornell did last year.

And the Gaels are giving out 800 red towels, so expect to see a lot of waving red.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:00:18 PM by peter »

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »
St Mary's opened as a 5 point favorite, but that's been knocked down to 3.5. :coolsmiley:

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
Does anyone know if JB is going to play?

Havent seen anything in the threads

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
So fired up!! Everyone get their naps in?

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
just woke up from my nap have to be to work at 8am : ( but let's go SJU
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »
this memphis game needs to hurry up and end