Rob Thomas

• 4 replies
Rob Thomas
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
I just want to toss this out there. I don't think he is 100% maybe 80% and he could have benefitted from medically redshirting however this was an unlikely scenario due to the fact he redshirted last year. If he medically redshirted he would have had to graduate on time and go to post grad school in order to keep all 4 years of eligibility which lets face it is unrealistic.

Its not in Rob's best interest to be rushed out onto the court for extended minutes his knee would eventually just give out. He has a lot of strengthening to do and the best example that comes to mind for me is Daunte Culpepper. He came back too soon and look what happened it set him another year back and he still isn't the same.

Be patient with him and if he can spill some backcourt time great if not o well. I've spoken to Norm about this and he said, "Anything we get from Rob great but don't expect anything" This was said at the beginning of the season he also mentioned don't expect him to come back and play 20 mpg. He hasn't played and more importantly hasn't even practiced with the team in almost a year and half returning to practice in the middle of December.

Be patient with Rob because I think he is going to be a very good player for us.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Rob Thomas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
its gotta be real frustrating for him...but he needs to be brought along very slowly.  Also doesn't hurt that he can concentrate on his classes for another semester. 

Based on the glimpses I've seen...once he gets his legs underneath him he will help us out a lot.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
rob thomas with one leg > tj

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
I just want to toss this out there. I don't think he is 100% maybe 80% and he could have benefitted from medically redshirting however this was an unlikely scenario due to the fact he redshirted last year. If he medically redshirted he would have had to graduate on time and go to post grad school in order to keep all 4 years of eligibility which lets face it is unrealistic.

Its not in Rob's best interest to be rushed out onto the court for extended minutes his knee would eventually just give out. He has a lot of strengthening to do and the best example that comes to mind for me is Daunte Culpepper. He came back too soon and look what happened it set him another year back and he still isn't the same.

Be patient with him and if he can spill some backcourt time great if not o well. I've spoken to Norm about this and he said, "Anything we get from Rob great but don't expect anything" This was said at the beginning of the season he also mentioned don't expect him to come back and play 20 mpg. He hasn't played and more importantly hasn't even practiced with the team in almost a year and half returning to practice in the middle of December.

Be patient with Rob because I think he is going to be a very good player for us.
Good words, JJ, I agree.  He plays well when he's out there, seems to have a bball IQ, but kudos to Norm for not running him into the ground like many other coaches would to save their jobs.  Not that Rob Thomas alone would.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:21:18 PM »
I look forward to seeing him next year at or near 100%.  If he's still got the goods, he'll help us out bigtime.