Providence Post Game

• 16 replies
Providence Post Game
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
Main page updated with boxscores, graphs, charts, photos. Post game AP feed and I'm hoping to have a Johnny Jungle post game report up soon with a new post game writer taking over the "breakdown"

www.johnnyjungle.com
(if you don't see updated page or blurry just hit refresh)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

Re: Providence Post Game
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
this game was a big win and i'm a bit impressed.  i still think norm should be fired after this year (trust me. if he got syl, and another very good recruit i'd sing a diff song), but we must make the BET and it looks like we can.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
I forgot to add a new poll which I'm doing now... should be up in about 10 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
Didn't get to watch it but did listen to the radio.  Great job by the team to finish that game...really happy for Geno when he hit that 3 at the end. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Didn't get to watch it but did listen to the radio.  Great job by the team to finish that game...really happy for Geno when he hit that 3 at the end. 

Those are the shots that have been going in against us all season its nice to be on this end of the luck for a change.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
I uploaded everything into the wrong folder damnnit....will be up in 5 min

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »

Those are the shots that have been going in against us all season its nice to be on this end of the luck for a change.

if anybody deserves it... its Geno...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
I uploaded everything into the wrong folder damnnit....will be up in 5 min

www.johnnyjungle.com

Everything is updated sorry if i caused any confusion before my bad. Check out new post game with sortable boxscores, charts, graphs, and pictures. New Poll and State of the Jungle Teaser.

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
hmmmm i wonder where you got the graphs and stats from........

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
What a crazy game; I can't believe we finally got one that worked out in our favor it's about time! First off, I sat with my Dad today but great job from the Jungle you guys were loud as hell which helped since the rest of the place was pretty quiet and people were staring me down for cheering lol. I saw a lot of people sitting though in the Jungle what was up with that and I was disappointed that the security made you guys stop the "these refs suck" and "8 on 5" deals because wow those refs were a disgrace (though I thought it was only the one with the receding hairline lol).

Anyway, unless I went crazy, their lack of attention helped us in the end. During one of the timeouts the clock kept going and as far as I could tell 5 to 8 seconds went off without anyone noticing. There's a small chance I imagined that lol but the guy behind me saw it too so maybe lol, whatever helps.

On the players:
Boothe was great imo. Scored a few points and got that huge rebound towards the end (he really skied for that thing). However, as usual his passing was the best part of his game. 6 assists and there was one simply ridiculous one hand pass that he bullet-ed (don't think that's a word but oh well) through the lane but JB didn't convert...
Geno played pretty well. He hit that crazy game winner of course but that was more luck than anything I thought. He only had one turnover though it was bad (not as bad as Burrell's inbound though). His defense really stepped up on Xavier after their run and kept us in the game I thought.
DJ didn't do anything special imo and late in the game I saw him try to draw a charge...I thought that was pathetic and I hope not to see us diving again.
Burrell was playing against the Friars and the refs so he didn't do too bad all things considered (except for that awful foul with 0.1 left what a bad idea), but still not one of his better games (though he showed good range on his shots)...
but that was okay, because Evans stepped up! A great game for him and it was sorely necessary since no one else did much up front. Nearly got a double-double and played his best game of the year I thought.
Wright was what we all have wanted him to be and it's about time he got minutes reflecting that. He kept us in the game against their barrage of sharpshooting. Though it was converted for a PC basket, I was impressed when he hustled back to steal the ball on one of their breakaways even if he did throw it back in to them accidentally. I was disappointed that they scored but obviously would never get on a guy for hustling and it was especially good to see him flying back on D since that isn't his strongpoint.
Horne played good D but needs to stop shooting it isn't gonna work lol. He got hosed a couple of times by the refs.
Rob played pretty well in his 3 minutes lol including smartly following up our break to convert a miss for a dunk. I really would like to see him get more minutes at the expense of...
Tomas, who was just flat out awful. When Providence went on their run to take the lead after we were up 39-30 he was a major part of that. I know he was in b/c of JB's foul trouble, but his foul I can't even put on the ref. He was out of position and then comes back to foul and not even a hard foul to prevent the and-1. I was really really pissed when Norm didn't take him out coming out of the TV timeout but glad he didn't see the floor after that tour.

Norm was alright. I was happy he put Burrell back in to stop their run before it got out of hand but idk what we were doing on offense most of the game lol. The good ol' wait 35 seconds and have Geno chuck it up finally worked though lol so I can't complain too much. If we keep winning I guess he'll stay around, but if we keep winning my problems with him will go away. And as much as I really wanted him gone, nothing beats the happiness of a hard-fought victory so even if this means he sticks around, I'm happy we pulled it out (just like I was happy the jets beat the steelers at expense of a draft pick lol now that we're out of the top 5 that might not have turned out so well)

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
St. John's censoring the jungle thats weak.... I need to get my ass out of NJ and back to NY and lead the charge

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »
Well like I said I wasn't sitting there so idk if the ref said anything (I know they told us to "knock it off" one game earlier in the year lol) but security definitely said something. There was also one group in like the entire front row that sat throughout the game, there were only two guys standing in front idk who the others were or why they wouldn't stand lol

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »
Yeah that was a family with a couple of kids in the front row. I don't know why they sat there. Ticked me off a little bit.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 07:37:28 PM »
One more win and I think you can almost punch Norm's ticket to be back for next year.  It was a good win though and a much needed one.  I cant vote to see Norm next year until we at least get into the BE Tourney and see how they perform. 

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
PC board on scout is depressing to read right now those guys are pretty down. Nice posters there though I posted a few things over the past few days there. They also like our team think we have potential and good group of core guys.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
Boothe takes much less time to make decisions with the ball than Geno. That was the difference today. Providence couldn't keep up with him. It's nice that our freshman team, with a key man down came out w a chip on their shoulder.

I'm not looking at this win as a season changer, but who knows, maybe it will spark more improvement. Burrell and Evans have never played this well together. We haven't had two big men work the ball between each other before, so this was a nice adjustment to watch develop.

Clearly, we haven't played this well yet. Let's enjoy it for a few days.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
  Great game to be at. The crowd was great,The Jungle could be heard across the court and up in the cheap seats.  Way to go!! The refs let them play, Burrell must be hurting today. He played a great game.Next saturdays game at the Garden vs "Nova" will be a good one.   Go Redmen!!