The Big Payback [Calm Before the Storm]

• 8 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
The Big Payback [Calm Before the Storm]
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Tomorrow, we get to see where this all leads. Lavin gets to walk into his old workplace – Pauley Pavilion – and hopefully, put a real cathartic Hollywood whipping on them. This game should come with swelling violins and horns, bombast, flags, and a fist pump at the end. If there’s any game he should pull out all of his tricks to win, it’s this one.

The fans of the UCLA program program gave him seven years of hell. Many of the reporters write of him as if they’re trying to describe the devil to people who just can’t see evil. There is an arrogance, an extreme arrogance involved in the hatred of Steve Lavin. After seven years, people can’t just let it go? That’s not fair.

Read more.

Predictions?

Wods317

Re: The Big Payback [Calm Before the Storm]
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I wanted to win this game just because it would be a great win our tournament resume but now I want to destroy them. I have been reading articles about Lavin and the UCLA fans for the last few days and it honestly pumped me up so I hope the players are reading these also. The UCLA fans are talking so much trash about Lavin and hate him so much it is disturbing. Also the UCLA fans I have met or read about on blogs are so cocky they think Wooden still coaches there. This current group at UCLA has accomplished nothing yet they think they are so far above us because they are UCLA. This is a big game but I hope the players know this is for them and for their coach. I think overall this is a solid matchup for us, we need to pressure them on defense and run on offense. SJU 68 UCLA 64.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
The arrogant sense of entitlement from these spoiled, cry-baby Bruin fans is lame.  The pre-game links posted here have Ucla fans complaining about Lavins recruiting,  rode a bycycle during a recruiting visit?,  while he continually brought in Nba talent while there?

Did nothing but deep Ncaa runs for the most of his tenure and they threw him to the woodshed.

I hope we can smack down this team.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
SJ 76, UCLA 61

We come out strong with intense man to man defense,
and they haven't seen anything like it in the pretty boy PAC 10.

What has happened to the PAC 10? This was once a top conference.
Now, I'm not sure they're as good as the A10.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
Good article Peter.  Def agree with the importance of avoiding and drawing fouls.  THis really is a huge game.  A win here against a fellow bubble team on the road can go a long way.  Two things that stand out are that they are loose with the basketball and dont shoot well from the outside.  Press and constantly pressure them all day. 

63-62 Johnnies
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:16:02 PM by B-Squared »

redslope

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »
I thought Redmen fans couldn't let go of the Jarvis fiasco but reading those links in Peter's article makes us look tame.  UCLA claims regarding Steve have no way near the level of what Jarvis did to us.  Steve did not leave them with NCAA violations.  Steve's seven years would be welcomed by most schools.  when you consider his experience before the UCLA job versus Howland having 9/10 years headcoaching experience before UCLA; Steve looks dam good winning 65% of his games in 7 years versus Howland's 69.5%.  one losing season to 2 losing seasons.  Maybe the AD should have added an experienced Head Coach to Steve's staff (like Keady here, Blaney at Uconn) but they might not have wanted to spend the money like we have to give Steve the support he has.

I was hoping we would win; now I want the players to do to UCLA what we have done to Duke.  Come on guys; don't even make it close!  Let's go Redmen!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
Where Alcindor played             - 69
Where he should have played - 61

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:24 AM »
we should spank this team.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
I'm curious who Lavin sticks on Tyler Honeycutt
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle