Rutgers post game

• 48 replies

TONYD3

Re: Rutgers post game
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Why all  the hate on Rice? He is loud and a bit crazy but his teams play hard and win games.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
i don't dislike Stith at all, but he's got a ways to go.

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Stith played well yesterday but at the expense of DJ. DJ sat most of the 2nd half while Stith played most of 2nd half. Stith at his best is not as good as DJ. I expected (hoped) DJ would take a big step this year. He hasn't but he is still a good rebounder/defender/ our smartest player.

redslope

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »
Why all  the hate on Rice? He is loud and a bit crazy but his teams play hard and win games.

think of all the great, hall of fame coaches and how many act like Fried Rice.  Yes the is Bobby Knight but there are so many more HOF coaches who coach. not rant such as Wooden, Smith, K, our Louie, JT Sr., Keady.  there are better ways to get effort out of your players than to embarass and berate them.  Coach Wooden did not even "walk the sidelines" but stayed in his seat with a rolled up program.

Rice seems to have potential but he needs to learn civility to be a better leader.  As a parent would you want your son to play for someone who berates them?  I sit very near the visitors bench and I have seen this act before--it is a mid major approach, not a big time approach.

Wods317

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Rice is a good coach and if he has immediate success at Rutgers he will be fine. When he starts losing though its that kind of screaming and going crazy on the sideline that gets old quick as someone said. There are not a lot of coaches like him who last very long at any certain school, he needs to be himself but I think he needs to tone it down a little. He's a good coach but when you watch him he just looks like a mad man and kids these days don't respond all that well to being yelled at constantly.

TONYD3

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
I was at the game and didn't notice rice. I just re watched the game from the DVR and I see what you guys are talking about. Intensity is great but he was almost embarrassing his players.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Although I have been impressed with his team's hustle and ability to hang with good teams, it's not so different than what Norm Roberts did his first year. There were at least 3 very close losses to great teams that I remember being sick over. ND, WV and Nova.

The season ended for us with some optimism. Ricky Torres, Anthony Mason and Aaron Spears all added some hope as well. Rice will be given a free pass this year, but next year, when he has his guys, all eyes will be on him. Hopefully, he can hold it together.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »
I was at the game and didn't notice rice. I just re watched the game from the DVR and I see what you guys are talking about. Intensity is great but he was almost embarrassing his players.

I agree...he maybe a good coach..but he seemed to be a bit over the top.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
The season ended for us with some optimism. Ricky Torres added some hope as well.

When and how did Ricky Torres ever add any hope?