Moe Hicks

• 2 replies

gonzalo

Moe Hicks
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/10/uconns-walker-st-johns-hicks-to-reunite-at-garden/

After Lavin took the St. John’s job last spring, one of the first things he did was take Hicks out for dinner at Giovanni’s near the Gauchos Gym in The Bronx.

“He told me that he would love to hire me as director of basketball with the promise that eventually I will be a coach on his staff,” Hicks recalled.

“He told me what his plan was over the next five, six years, to turn St. John’s into a powerhouse and he wanted me to be a part of that.”

Wods317

Re: Moe Hicks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
It's really good to have Moe on the staff because if we lose one of the assistants he can step into that role very easily. He's been around young kids his whole life I'm sure he is doing a great in the DOB role and would be a very good assistant. We have a lot of very qualified assistant that might not all be here a few years from now. Success is great but the coaching staff is probably going to change quite a bit but hopefully we can hold onto this great staff for a few years.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:58:38 PM by Wods317 »

redslope

Re: Moe Hicks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
the difference between a good coach and a great one can be seen in the "coaching tree" a coach develops.  this is a coach's legacy.  Coach Lavin understands the importance of finding/developing assistants so that they move on to their own head jobs based on Mo Hicks comments.  To have the same assistants year after year on the bench turns them into dead wood.  whereas young coaches with desire and potential will work their buns off for a coach who will get them to the next step in their careers.

I want assistants who want to get ahead because I believe they will work for our team to succeed so that they become someone in demand..Success breeds success