Storming Philadelphia [Calm Before the Storm]

• 15 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Storming Philadelphia [Calm Before the Storm]
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »
Down the east coast, however, storm clouds seem to be forming over the Villanova Wildcats. Player injuries. A lack of depth. Worries that the team is “lacking IQ,” that something is wrong, that the sky is falling.

Meanwhile, those Wildcats are ranked #15 in the country by the AP and #14 by the Coaches’ poll, and are battling teams like St. John’s for the top-4 slot in the Big East – also known as the coveted double-bye, two games off of Big East Tournament competition. There is often some argument that the double-bye hurts teams’ rhythm, but an extra game off? That might be nice for the players, and means the Red Storm ended the season in the top 4.

Saturday’s game against Villanova gives the Red Storm a chance to break a losing streak – 6 games to Villanova – in this retribution season. And there is seeding at stake – in the Big East Tournament and in the NCAA Tournament as well. And Sean Evans gets to play in front of friends and family for the last time. And a great game by hardy could cement him as Big East Player of the Year.

Read more.

Predictions?

kjd01067

Re: Storming Philadelphia [Calm Before the Storm]
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
Nice write up as always Peter.  I think the key to this game will be locking down their perimeter players.  If Horne, Kennedy, and Hardy/Boothe can lock down Fisher, Wayns, and Stokes and force them to shot over people we have a real chance to pick up a huge road win.  Hopefully, Burrell shows up pissed off and ready to play and Hardy stays hot.  Let's Go!

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
We are due for a loss and this is the logical one to lose.

Nova- 83
St. John's- 68

redslope

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
Just as DJ wanted the Pitt game, Paris and Sean want this one being from the Philly area (Delaware links to Philly for sports) having been embarassed in front of family and friends for the last three years.  This is their turn for pay back.  Wednesday night showed a team with tremendous intensity which the Nova Lox seem to have not had of late.  They have a light bench and will be going against a match up zone that could cause turnover trouble for them.  look at the shooting %age against the SU zone this week. 

Cheese steaks--66
Nathan's franks--78

tims19

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
nice call with the cheeze steaks/nathans franks,... and i dunno close call im not gonna pick against us but who knows

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
75-72 Johnnies. 

Big game for Burrell down low.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
Guard them like we guarded Pitt and Depaul, and we're gonna win again.

NY-75
Suburbs-61

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
Great job Peter! They have enough guards to break our press but they can be sloppy at times, especially Wayns. But like you said, keep him out of the lane and contest every shot by the Nova guards and we should be in it at the end. I think Brownlee has a big game.

Wennington 69
Tom Greis    67

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
nova has been playing terrible as of lately, and i believe they will continue to slide. i think dj will have another double-double.

septa - 61
mta - 68

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »
I am not overly impressed with Nova when I have seen them. If this game was at home I would say we would should be a pretty solid favorite to win but to win on the road is always tough. Its hard to pick against this team right now because of how well they have been playing and add to that how poor Nova has looked I like our chances. I think if we can guard Stokes and Fisher and not let them kill us with the 3 we will be fine. Wayns, Pena and Yarou are all quality players but its those two guards that really make Nova go. SJU 72 Nova 69.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
  Gary McClain- 71

Willie Shaw- 68

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
I am really really pumped for this game today for some reason.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
I really hope Hardy goes off on Fisher.  Really want this win so we can get rid of the talk about our record on the road against ranked teams.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
I really hope Hardy goes off on Fisher.  Really want this win so we can get rid of the talk about our record on the road against ranked teams.

Was it Fisher or Stokes that Norm was after, the kid came to all the games and sat behind the bench?

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Fisher...we were his "dream school"
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
nova has been playing terrible as of lately, and i believe they will continue to slide. i think dj will have another double-double.

septa - 61
mta - 68

i was wrong about the score, but i was right about dj.