Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts Prep - Newark, NJ - RICE

• 27 replies
Re: Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts Prep - Newark, NJ - RICE
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 06:51:50 AM »
Everyone who thinks he's making a mistake by not going to Harvard should lend him the money to do so -- Ivies don't give athletic scholarships.

Rice will be free.
I don't think he made a mistake by choosing Rice. If he plays his cards right with alumni, he should be set up for a nice postgraduation job either way.

The "Ivies don't give athletic scholarships" argument is funny. Sure, it allows for some of the conference fans to be sanctimonious. For the average athlete-student, middle class and below (which the Jacksons fall into), they'll get all the "grant money" they want. If Jackson's family doesn't have to pay a dime, it shouldn't matter to them if it's called a grant or a scholarship.

As it is, Jackson is gaining admission to some schools that would never admit him, if not for his ability to play basketball.  For some people, that alone is worth it.

Do grants eventually have to be paid back? I also can't speak for the Ivies, but I know Stanford absolves you of tuition if your parents make below a certain income:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/20/MNABV5LHM.DTL&tsp=1

No, the grants don't have to be repaid.

pmg911

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
Everyone who thinks he's making a mistake by not going to Harvard should lend him the money to do so -- Ivies don't give athletic scholarships.

Rice will be free.

I have no idea of Tamir's family situation but if his family makes less then 200k per year..   his education at Harvard will be free...  the school has a massive endowment and uses it to supplement tuition costs for all students...

Here is article on the topic. . if you search online yopu can find a lot written about this topic..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-sacks/harvards-middle-class-_b_76847.html

Also..  if you think the schools don't arrange for massive finacial aid for the athletes you are crazy. .   

If this young man had a chance to go to Harvard and passed..   its his choice but probably a mistake ...   I hope he proves me wrong...!!!

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
Less than 200k and you go to Harvard for free? Whats the percentage of kids who go to Harvard for free then?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »
Less than 200k and you go to Harvard for free? Whats the percentage of kids who go to Harvard for free then?

I am not sure what the percentage is but I know there has been debate at Harvard about eliminating tuition entirely..      the schools feels it might be losing valuable students because of tuition costs.

I know because I speak to some people who work with the Harvard Endowment.

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

I am not sure what the percentage is but I know there has been debate at Harvard about eliminating tuition entirely..      the schools feels it might be losing valuable students because of tuition costs.

I know because I speak to some people who work with the Harvard Endowment.

Wow thats really interesting. I've never heard of that before. If this is true that is really something. I really think college now a days is becoming too much of a business scam with high tutition prices. Also a college degree isn't what it was 10-20 years ago now you almost have to go to post-grad school and even more and more people are doing that as well.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
Cooper Union, which is as competitive, if not more competitive than Harvard and many of the Ivy's, does not charge tuition to students.  Not sure of others in the country that do this.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

LJSA

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:02 AM »
Webb Institute out on Long Island is free. It had a great reputation 20 years ago and I assume still does.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »

This is a relatively new initiative by Harvard and is being replicated by a few universities around the country.  In fact a similar sliding scale tuition proposal has been discussed in the state senate for SUNY.  Remember, until 1975 CUNY was tuition free as well.