Would you take Kelvin Sampson?

• 16 replies
Would you take Kelvin Sampson?
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:55:25 PM »
With some reporting in the media that Kelvin Sampson maybe fired as early as friday, would you, as st johns fans, take sampson as the new head coach at the end of the year? i would be very unhappy if this happened.  i think that having such a blatant, arrogant cheater would be the wrong way to go here, but i think sju needs to be open to getting a coach that isnt politically correct all the time
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Re: Would you take Kelvin Sampson?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »
No...Indiana was getting hassled for hiring him.  Imagine what the NY media would do with the decision to hire him.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »
No...bad team is bad enough....bad team + scandal is even worse.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
no.  he'll embarrass the university. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »
hells no.  everyone knew he was real dirty at oklahoma.  come on.  getting caught dirty once is one thing, getting caught again and again is ridiculous; but teams love winning and will break the rules till they get caught.

i'd rather take jim o'brien.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
bobby knight

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
JJ I agree!!-
The General!!!!------offer him a few million--------he'll kick ass and take names------and also throw about 5 of these guys off the team
We would be back on the back page all the time- CA would be sold out----we would average 15,000 for a home game with half the people being curiousity seekers-----
It makes too much sense So what if he is 67.....He is the man   

Randomhero423

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »
John Callapari is the # 1 choice.

kjd01067

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »

What makes you think he would come here ?

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
ummmmm jj take away the bad team part because kelvin can absolutely coach, but youre right he would be an absolute embarassment.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:36:39 PM »
this team has needed a disciplinarian drill sergeant for a long time. We need structure and Bobby knight would do that not to mention put butts in the seats....we got a red sweater waiting for him

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

he was very interested in the job after the jarvis debacle.  the job is better now (believe it or not. we have no sanctions, a young team.  when people say norm left the program worser off are seriously clueless).  if all that stuff about him and louie are cleared up, and we pony up to what $$ he wants, i think he'd definitely come here.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

he was very interested in the job after the jarvis debacle.  the job is better now (believe it or not. we have no sanctions, a young team.  when people say norm left the program worser off are seriously clueless).  if all that stuff about him and louie are cleared up, and we pony up to what $$ he wants, i think he'd definitely come here.

that was the past....now that memphis is #1 and has top talent for 08 and 09, i cannot see SJU paying him more than memphis is dishing out....at this point, id rather have phil misere coach for next year.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
memphis also puts a boat load of money into their program. They have chartered jets for their away games....seriously just ridiculous funding

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
C'mon now.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:14:23 AM »
Kelvin Sampson? We already had one coach destroy the program, no thanks-he can go write for yahoo with that other car salesman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
its unfortunate the sampson issue occurred with norm at the helm. now the administration probably feels like they truely hit a 'homerun' because norm runs a clean program.