The Life and Times of Lenny Cooke

• 5 replies

Moose

The Life and Times of Lenny Cooke
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »
Such a talent back in the day.  Sad he never made it big.

http://www.premierball.com/the-life-and-times-of-lenny-cooke/
Remember who broke the Slice news

gonzalo

Re: The Life and Times of Lenny Cooke
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
Your junior year you transfered to Old Tappan how was that experience?

LENNY COOKE I transfered because of grades so that I could attend St. Johns. I wanted to bring a championship back to the city me Omar Cook, Curtis Sumpter, Darius Miles, and Marcus Hatten would of been there. Theres no way with that core group that we would not have dominated college ball. Things happened and we ended up not all going there. If it would of went down that way it would have been history in the making.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
would have been a pretty decent starting five..
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Lenny loved SJU. Used to see him at the games.

crgreen

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
Never knew about Lenny's car accident.   Kind of a weird coincidence with a Steve Lavin angle included:

Steve's last recruit at UCLA was a skinny 6'8 forward named Sean Phaler.  And Sean owed his UCLA scholarship in part to a meeting with Lenny Cooke.    The place was the Rebok Big Time Tourney - at the time the largest AAU tourney in the country.   Both Lenny Cooke and Sean Phaler would go on to be two-time "All-Tourney" performers.  But in the 2001 tourney, junior Phaler was matched up with  the Senior Cooke - and the underdog soCal boys embarrassed the much higher ranked New York squad, as Phaler dismantled Cooke, and set the (then) tourney single game scoring record with 45 pts (on 18-22 shooting).

The coincidence?  It's why you likely never heard of Sean "Bones" Phaler.  Steve left UCLA, and Ben Howland thought the (by then) 6'9 175 lb forward was too light to play his defensive schemes - so he released Sean from his LOI.  Sean then took a grant-in-aid from his Dad's alma mater, New Mexico.  But that Summer, a couple weeks before heading to New Mexico for the start of his college career, Sean was in an horrific traffic accident - his mustang was totaled, it took 2 hours for rescue crews  to extricate him from the wreckage.  Among the many injuries he sustained was a broken back.

Incredibly, he DID come back to play college basketball after sitting out a medical redshirt season, but he was never the same player.  Lost his flexibilty, quickness, hops, and stamina to the injuries.   Played 2 years at New Mexico, then a year at a JC (he contributed to a state title/undeated season), then finished off at UNC Charlotte.

Weird that both players careers were impacted by traffic accidents.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »
Sad to hear. LeBron also dismantled Cooke at one of the camps. No disgrace there.