Big East Expansion in the Wind Again!

• 33 replies
Re: Big East Expansion in the Wind Again!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
It's all about Nov. 1, 2012.

That's the date the Big East Conference becomes a TV free agent. The league's goal is to be able to present such a solid, far-reaching and valuable product that it lands a deal in the neighborhood of the $4 billion package recently signed by the Pac-12.

So when you hear Big East and wonder why schools such as Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State are being mentioned, think Midwest TV markets. Maps are just a piece of paper with lines.

With Texas A&M poised to join the SEC, the Big East is looking to add those three Big 12 schools and grow to 12 football schools and swell to 20 in basketball.

-------

The Big East has studied the creation of four five-team divisions in basketball and two divisions -- East and West -- in football, The Post has learned.

In basketball it could mean each school having home-and-home games with the other four schools in its division and then playing crossover games from schools in other divisions. Some schools wouldn't play each other in a given year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_thinking_big_ou8JdQKJUhWEeCUtGv7dNP#ixzz1XDZWslPk
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Depaul, Cincinatti, Notre Dame, Marquette and Louisville should go form their own conference.
They do not belong in the Big East. They are not in the East.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Depaul, Cincinatti, Notre Dame, Marquette and Louisville should go form their own conference.
They do not belong in the Big East. They are not in the East.

Well aren't three of them in the Eastern time zone?
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »
Big East
East
St. John’s
Villanova
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Providence
Xavier

Midwest
Notre Dame
DePaul
Marquette
St. Louis
Creighton
Detroit

ACC
North
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
Boston College
Temple

south
Tulane
Duke
Maryland
UNC
Virginia
Wake Forest

New conference with word "Southern" in it
Georgia Tech
Clemson
N.C. St.
Miami
Florida St.
USF
Memphis
Louisville
Cincinnati
TCU
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »
I understand Providence was one of the original Big East members and creators, but honestly Providence, DePaul, Cincy, Hall don't belong in the Big East. They would all be great in the A 10 conference. Providence and DePaul especially are simply mid majors playing in a major conference. They will win some non conference games here and there but when the Big East schedule comes they win 2 or 3. Why keep them when it's clear they are mid majors and only hurt the conference?

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
I would never want to see Providence leave the Big East. They were an original member. A basketball, non-football, league member. They are the type of team that I want to stay in the Big East Conference, not leave.

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »
I would never want to see Providence leave the Big East. They were an original member. A basketball, non-football, league member. They are the type of team that I want to stay in the Big East Conference, not leave.

I endorse this here post.

PC gonna have one of the best backcourts in the BE in a few years. They gainin some serious momentum.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
We have to worry about ourselves. I hope that the big east stays the same but it doesnt seeem likely. Providence and depaul are trying to get better, but they are still at the bottom of the conference. Loyalty is great and important, but I want to stay in the big east. If we lose some teams so be it. I want no part of an all basketball conference.

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »
We have to worry about ourselves. I hope that the big east stays the same but it doesnt seeem likely. Providence and depaul are trying to get better, but they are still at the bottom of the conference. Loyalty is great and important, but I want to stay in the big east. If we lose some teams so be it. I want no part of an all basketball conference.

I believe even though we are a basketball only school, the fact we are in the biggest tv market in the country has value that any conference will want. The revenue may not be close to football, but its still revenue. I look at it as a situation close to ND. They are in the Big East for basketball but independent for football. It could be a case were we do not share football revenue with this new conference but all other programs will. I also believe that these major conferences may spell the death of the NCAA. Why do they need the NCAA? To strip them of scholes and post season play? For bowl games that most schools lose money on? Too much money is involved, the NCAA is in trouble.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:20:32 PM by STJFAN »

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

Agree here.  I wanna be in conference with the big boys as long as possible.

ras

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
If it wasnt for Lavin, we would be in tha same position as SH and Depaul.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
If it wasnt for Lavin, we would be in tha same position as SH and Depaul.

I agree. We can't suggest kicking out programs with a quality history just because they suck now.
We were terrible for 7 straight years. The Hall and Depaul have not had a run like that. No BE team has.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
Depaulnis in the 3rd largest market inthe country. When they are good they are on they have one of the top attendance figures in the conference. They have some very good young.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
College sports are changing. We have to worry about ourselves. I like playing seton hall because they are local. However if we never played them again, I wouldn't even notice. Still I hope they stay. Depaul we ow nothing. They ere given an opportunity to join the big east and have done nothing with it. Their new coach is much better.I also hope they stay,but it might to late. Again we owe depaul nothing.
Lavin came to st. Johns because he knew what was possible here. Seton hall was cheap and got a b list coach. Depaul had to way over pay for a decent coach.