New York Power Rankings – Preseason Edition

• 17 replies
New York Power Rankings – Preseason Edition
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

I think Rutgers should be #2, Johnnies at 3

http://nycbuckets.com/?p=406

1.Iona — Possibly the best team in the MAAC. Mike Glover and Scott Machado are power conference level players.

2.Seton Hall — Pirates played amazing defense last season, continue to get better. Won’t be under .500 in 2011-12.

3.Rutgers — Mike Rice has his young team on the rise. Gilvydas Biruta is one of my favorite players in the Big East.

4.Princeton — The Tigers lost Sydney Johnson, but got another Princeton-man in Mitch Henderson. Ian Hummer is an elite class in the Ivy League.

5.Fairfield — Iona’s #1 challenge in the MAAC. Sydney Johnson inherits a loaded roster, but with big expectations.

6.St. John’s — Awesome recruiting class looks a little less awesome after eligibility issues, but Steve Lavin will still have a bunch of talent to mold into a competitive Big East squad.

7.Long Island — The Blackbirds are ready to run again and should be the class of the NEC. Loaded junior class carries LIU.

8.Stony Brook — Going to be a three-headed monster at the top of America East and the Seawolves are part of it. Tommy Brenton is healthy and ready to make a difference.

9.Rider — Don’t sleep on the Broncs in the MAAC. Tommy Dempsey is one of the best coaches in America.

10.Wagner — Dan Hurley’s young squad could develop in a hurry. Latif Rivers and Orlando Parker will only get better with another season under their belts.

11.Hofstra — Gone is Charles Jenkins, so this will be Mike Moore’s team now. Stevie Mejia will also make a big impact for Mo Cassara’s squad.

12.Columbia — Some metrics believe in the Lions, but most people don’t. Kyle Smith’s team consistently getting picked in the bottom three in the Ivy League. Could surprise some people.

13.St. Peter’s — Made the NCAA Tournament out of the MAAC just a season ago, but lost a lot. John Dunne will earn his contract extension in the year after the madness.

14.Manhattan — New coach, new year. Steve Masiello is hoping to change things in a hurry for the Jaspers with some talented freshman.

15.Sacred Heart — Shane Gibson is a player that can carry a team. But he’ll need his teammates to keep growing up.

16.Army — The Black Knights were at .500 as last as 22 games into last season, but eight-game losing streak finished them off.

17.Fordham — Tom Percora is bringing in lots of reinforcements for year two. He’s going to need them in difficult Atlantic 10. One more year until the conference tournament is on his home turf.

18.Monmouth — Dave Calloway is out and King Rice is in. Hawks hope that former Kevin Stallings assistant has the magic touch.

19.N.J.I.T. — This might be too low for Jim Engles’ plucky Great West squad. Highlanders finished 15-15 last season and return dangerous Isaiah Wilkerson.

20.St. Francis (NY) — Glenn Braica starts a true reboot in year two as Ricky Cadell and Akeem Bennett have departed. Big questions and big minutes available in Brooklyn.

21.Fairleigh Dickinson — With a number of players departing Knights have big shoes to fill. Lonnie Hayes and Melquan Bolding provide an immediate shot of talent

Poison

Re: New York Power Rankings – Preseason Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
That is batsh*t insane.

Seton Hall didn't do anything well last year. They were awful. Rutgers has a chance to be decent if they can get a lot out of their class. Iona doesn't play any d. SJU is a complete mystery. We've never seen any of these guys complete.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:31:14 AM »
Wow...Iona #1? How? They play in the MAAC. Even a freshman loaded SJ squad SHOULD take care of them. No way is Iona #1 in NY...they are talented but no major power.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
Wow...Iona #1? How? They play in the MAAC. Even a freshman loaded SJ squad SHOULD take care of them. No way is Iona #1 in NY...they are talented but no major power.

If Momo is cleared, they're a damn good team for ANY conference.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:45:26 AM »
There is no chance they will even be ranked. None. We have just as good a shot as them with a bunch of unproven rookies. They are different caliber players. Big East > MAAC.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:51:49 AM »
Wish I could be as confident as you. Michael Glover is a High Major player. IIRC he absolutely demolished Syracuse @ Cuse last season. Momo is obviously a high major PG who also played his best vs good teams/big situations. Add in other upperclassmen like Machado, etc.

To say there's a ZERO chance they'll be ranked just sounds biased/uninformed. And there's a zero chance we'll be ranked, so don't even know why you brought up ranks.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
Not sure how Fairfield gets into NY power rankings but if they are they could be #1 or #2 on this list. This article isn't even worth recognizing.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
Count on Marco to keep us updated as long as Iona  :'(is ranked #1

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
Not sure how Fairfield gets into NY power rankings but if they are they could be #1 or #2 on this list. This article isn't even worth recognizing.

Agreed, Fairfield has a nice team. MAAC might have the best 2 teams in the area

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
Sorry but the MAAC is still the MAAC. I went to a MAAC school and the basketball is in slow motion compared to Big East. Totally different paces and talent levels. It's rare to even see many dunks in mid-major basketball. Yes Iona and Fairfield are definitely dangerous and can probably upset a major team, but 8/10 times I think the Big East team would win.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
A few things...

- Iona is going to be very good this year and will only be better if Momo gets cleared but that is highly doubtful.
- Seton Hall was crushed by Hazell's injury last year but injuries are part of the business. If Herb Pope plays up to his potential this year they will be better then some thing but they are not an NCAA Tournament team.
- FDU will be significantly better this year and will be near the top of the NEC, especially if George Good (5th year transfer player from Louisville has a good season. Boldin will be one of the best players in the NEC
- I think Hofstra will surpise people this year.
- As for Rutgers. . I have said it many times, I am huge Gil Biruta fan, I think he will be in the NBA in a few years. If he can stay out of foul trouble this year he has a chance to be First Team Big East play but I think the rest of that team is hugely overrated.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
A few things...

- Iona is going to be very good this year and will only be better if Momo gets cleared but that is highly doubtful.
- Seton Hall was crushed by Hazell's injury last year but injuries are part of the business. If Herb Pope plays up to his potential this year they will be better then some thing but they are not an NCAA Tournament team.
- FDU will be significantly better this year and will be near the top of the NEC, especially if George Good (5th year transfer player from Louisville has a good season. Boldin will be one of the best players in the NEC
- I think Hofstra will surpise people this year.
- As for Rutgers. . I have said it many times, I am huge Gil Biruta fan, I think he will be in the NBA in a few years. If he can stay out of foul trouble this year he has a chance to be First Team Big East play but I think the rest of that team is hugely overrated.

PMG, I think you'll find that there isnt much of a dropoff at the guard position if Momo isnt cleared. If he doesnt get cleared, he'll take over after Machado graduates

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
I have no clue what happened with Momo and why he left Arizona but the guy was a starter on an Elite 8 team last year, Machado is not the same player at all.

Momo is an immediate 1st team MAAC player and make Iona much better.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I have no clue what happened with Momo and why he left Arizona but the guy was a starter on an Elite 8 team last year, Machado is not the same player at all.

Never am I the one to support my arch nemesis Baldi but I think Machado either led the country or was 2nd in apg last yr.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
Sorry but the MAAC is still the MAAC. I went to a MAAC school and the basketball is in slow motion compared to Big East. Totally different paces and talent levels. It's rare to even see many dunks in mid-major basketball. Yes Iona and Fairfield are definitely dangerous and can probably upset a major team, but 8/10 times I think the Big East team would win.

Still have no idea what this has to do with this year's Iona team. Just to say they're a MAAC team without discussing their actual team is ridiculous.

You know what other conference is historically terrible? The Horizon League.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »

Never am I the one to support my arch nemesis Baldi but I think Machado either led the country or was 2nd in apg last yr.

Yes Machado was tied for 2nd in apg at 7.5

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »
But what has Iona really done? If you seriously think most Big East teams wouldn't crush them 7/10 times, then you have overrated them way too high. They aren't a Butler. They aren't a Gonzaga. There is a new good team in the MAAC every few years who are lucky to even make the NIT, then they go back to being terrible. St. Peters, Siena, Iona, Marist, Fairfield have all had good years within the past 5-6 yrs. It's not like Iona has been some huge dominant force for years. I would argue they're more well known for having a good track team than basketball. Like I said, sure they can knock off some big guys, but at the end of the day, they will still be lucky to make the NIT, let alone win a few games in it. Hell, Fairfield might not even let them out of the MAAC tournament.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »
But what has Iona really done? If you seriously think most Big East teams wouldn't crush them 7/10 times, then you have overrated them way too high. They aren't a Butler. They aren't a Gonzaga. There is a new good team in the MAAC every few years who are lucky to even make the NIT, then they go back to being terrible. St. Peters, Siena, Iona, Marist, Fairfield have all had good years within the past 5-6 yrs. It's not like Iona has been some huge dominant force for years. I would argue they're more well known for having a good track team than basketball. Like I said, sure they can knock off some big guys, but at the end of the day, they will still be lucky to make the NIT, let alone win a few games in it. Hell, Fairfield might not even let them out of the MAAC tournament.

Great post, cant argue with any of your points. The MAAC goes in cycles, hopefully now is Iona's time-but Fairfield is a tough team