Players banned from tweeting??

• 23 replies
Re: Players banned from tweeting??
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
  I think it's a great idea.  The kids should be focused on academics and hoops.  All this social media stuff is a giant distraction for 18-22 year olds.

I mean, there a bunch of grown men and women reading into everything these kids post or tweet.  It's actually creepy IMO.

Great job out of the staff.

I love the 'creepy' discussion.  They are public figures.

Nah, probably down in Mill Basin.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
Can we really call these individuals "kids" anymore?  I'm assuming that all of the players are 18, or at the very least almost 18. They should be considered young adults(which is what they are) who are expected to act in a certain manner, with a certain level of maturity. Like someone said earlier, they are public figures, and should be held on higher standards than most college students. And I understand that they are still college students, and should be allowed to act as such, but to a certain extent.

Personally, I think its a shame that the coaching staff feels that they have to ban twitter.  It almost shows a lack of trust by the staff...like they have to "babysit" the players to make sure they don't get into trouble.  I would hope that the players would be aware enough to know what they should, or should not post.

Really?   A shame?  Weekly you hear about a professional athlete who says something stupid on twitter.  What good can come from letting the kids post from twitter, besides satisfying the need for some fans to know everything they are thinking and doing? 

This team is going to be shorthanded as it is.  the last thing we need is a freshman to tweet about being at a party where there some alcohol or worse. This a smart move by the coaching staff in order to protect the "kids" and the program from themselves.  No brainer IMO.
Th
Can we really call these individuals "kids" anymore?  I'm assuming that all of the players are 18, or at the very least almost 18. They should be considered young adults(which is what they are) who are expected to act in a certain manner, with a certain level of maturity. Like someone said earlier, they are public figures, and should be held on higher standards than most college students. And I understand that they are still college students, and should be allowed to act as such, but to a certain extent.

Personally, I think its a shame that the coaching staff feels that they have to ban twitter.  It almost shows a lack of trust by the staff...like they have to "babysit" the players to make sure they don't get into trouble.  I would hope that the players would be aware enough to know what they should, or should not post.

Really?   A shame?  Weekly you hear about a professional athlete who says something stupid on twitter.  What good can come from letting the kids post from twitter, besides satisfying the need for some fans to know everything they are thinking and doing? 

This team is going to be shorthanded as it is.  the last thing we need is a freshman to tweet about being at a party where there some alcohol or worse. This a smart move by the coaching staff in order to protect the "kids" and the program from themselves.  No brainer IMO.
Looking back on our years in college, how many of us would have liked our parents to know what we did. At 18, I for one was not a responsible young man. It is a good decision by the coaching staff.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
It's not just a question of knowing what we did, but documenting everything you say-which at 18 is often everything you think as well.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
... One of the girls constantly tweets really personal stuff about her sex life and I just always wondered if KBA was aware of the stuff these girls are saying on there.

I remember a tweet from the same girl mentioning that KBA told her to tone it down a bit, especially two specific "offensive" words ( F & N) that she uses a lot.  She seemed surprised that Coach even knew about her tweets and referred to it as the "Big Brother is Watching" syndrome.

Personally I would prefer the staffs take the time to educate these student athletes about the possibility of a public comment causing a potential problem as opposed to just banning them.  It could be a tweet, a FaceBook post, a Blog post, a Skype conversation, or several others that I am not aware of.  Do we now ban them from post game 'pressers too???

EDUCATE, don't suppress!!!