Media Day [RedStormSports]

• 11 replies
Media Day [RedStormSports]
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/view.gal?id=103913

Gallery...Moe, Gift, Dunlap, and Keady.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Media Day [RedStormSports]
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »
"This year, with our youth, we're going to have to be patient. We're very athletic and we can put the ball in the hoop," said Dunlap. "With only eight guys on scholarship, we're going to have to be mindful of the tempo of the game and staying out of foul trouble. That is a work in progress and we look forward to that challenge. It will be an exciting year because most people would say by being laddered at the 12th spot in the BIG EAST that we have a lot of advantages playing the underdog role, and we like that."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
"This year, with our youth, we're going to have to be patient. We're very athletic and we can put the ball in the hoop," said Dunlap. "With only eight guys on scholarship, we're going to have to be mindful of the tempo of the game and staying out of foul trouble. That is a work in progress and we look forward to that challenge. It will be an exciting year because most people would say by being laddered at the 12th spot in the BIG EAST that we have a lot of advantages playing the underdog role, and we like that."

If there is anything positive to take from Lavin's absence, its seeing Dunlap is much more than the mad scientist picture that everyone seemed to had painted.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »

If there is anything positive to take from Lavin's absence, its seeing Dunlap is much more than the mad scientist picture that everyone seemed to had painted.
You don't win 2 NC even at the D2 level without being able to coach. He MAY BE a better X and O's coach and game coach than Lavs but not the overall package Lavs brings as a head coach

LJSA

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:59:22 AM »
Obviously I want Lavin to be here a long long time, but if for some reason he isn't, I wouldn't want a coaching search at all. Just shake Dunlap's hand and give him a big raise.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »
i couldn't agree more!

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »
Obviously I want Lavin to be here a long long time, but if for some reason he isn't, I wouldn't want a coaching search at all. Just shake Dunlap's hand and give him a big raise.

Agree 100%.  If Lavin for some reason moved on, there should be no question that Dunlap should get the job without a coaching search.  Love to keep him at least a few more years here.  It's not sooo bad for him.  SJU is making him one of the wealthiest assistant coaches in the game.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »

Agree 100% also... but...
What I expect to happen is for us to continue building winning momentum,(deep run in 2013 ?),
and Dunlap gets offered a D1 Hi major head coach  job in spring 2013 that he otherwise deserves.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:15:30 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
I think Dunlap may be a career assistant and one of the best in the business, I hope him and Lavin are together forever at St Johns

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Nice piece on Lavin by Kieran Darcy on ESPN.com.

Also notice the video including Coach Dunlap discussing the walk-on tryouts.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7124598/st-john-red-storm-eager-steve-lavin-return-prepare-season

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
Dunlap with Zagoria.  The guy is just solid. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/21/mike-dunlap-talks-about-the-johnnies/

DFF6

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
Coach Dunlap comes across as a stand up, no-nonsense smart coach with a lot of experience.  Thank God other schools in search of a coach last year missed the boat on him.  I am psyched that Mo grew 2 inches during the summer!  Can't wait to see him and the others in action!