Student Section

• 34 replies

tims19

Re: Student Section
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
i actually see a lot of students sitting in the regular seats because they dont want to stand the whole game

the student section stops letting students in at a certain point when its too full, then they get stuck in the regular seats, and its getting to the point where as a student you need to show up like 45 minutes early to get a good spot, but with the volume we produce this year over the last 3 years ill take that trade

Poison

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
If you're in the nosebleeds at Alumni Hall, you're actually in a pretty good seat.

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
can we get more consistent  chants than just let's go johnnies?
Ive thrown in a couple Let's go Redmen but idk other students dont seem to like that as much for some reason.

We should do a S..J..U.. chant like a Lets go Mets chant

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
I love the "We are...St. John's" call and respond chant done by both student sections.  They were good last night although I think the "defense" chants shouldn't fade in the middle of a possession.  Just my thought.

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
I love the "We are...St. John's" call and respond chant done by both student sections.  They were good last night although I think the "defense" chants shouldn't fade in the middle of a possession.  Just my thought.

The problem is the Lavinwood side speeds it up so much that you literally can't keep up with the chant and people stop chanting.  When the chant fades though we usually do the oooooo thing so it's not too bad.

tims19

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »

The problem is the Lavinwood side speeds it up so much that you literally can't keep up with the chant and people stop chanting.  When the chant fades though we usually do the oooooo thing so it's not too bad.

agreed, we really need better comunication between the sides, and to slow the defense chant down big time

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
The players aren't the only rookies out there.

Why not pick names out of the SJU gameday program, or 8.5x11 xerox,
and pick on the guys on the other team? That works nicely at other schools.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
student section is starting to kick @ss. Keep up the great work

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
It's starting to feel legit. Student section has been great!

Too bad I graduated in 2010. The highlight of my student fandom was beating Georgetown and ND at MSG in the same week back in 2006-07 (Larry Wright at the buzzer!) I suffered through 85% of home games during my collegiate career, most standing next to the Sleeveless Guy with about 30 other students in attendance.

But those days are long gone...and it feels great!

I even had to applaud the two Green Man guys last night. It's so cliche now that you have to really commit to stand out. And they did. Hats off.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »

Too bad I graduated in 2010. The highlight of my student fandom was beating Georgetown and ND at MSG in the same week back in 2006-07 (Larry Wright at the buzzer!) I suffered through 85% of home games during my collegiate career, most standing next to the Sleeveless Guy with about 30 other students in attendance.

I even had to applaud the two Green Man guys last night. It's so cliche now that you have to really commit to stand out. And they did. Hats off.

If they were in red it would be better.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »

If they were in red it would be better.
yeah I don't get the whole green body suit thing. Looked like mucous running around

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:11 AM »
Students sections are great but we need more students at the games. Have to disagree that rest of crowd was quiet. Me and buddies were on our feet cheering and place got thunderously loud during comeback for a crowd of only 4 thou. Couldn't have been that loud if only the students were cheering.

The student sections are filled to capacity every game.  Where exactly do you want to put the excess students?

How about in all of the empty seats around the rest of the arena. Surely you noticed that the top sections were almost completely empty?

Wods317

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Students sections are great but we need more students at the games. Have to disagree that rest of crowd was quiet. Me and buddies were on our feet cheering and place got thunderously loud during comeback for a crowd of only 4 thou. Couldn't have been that loud if only the students were cheering.

The student sections are filled to capacity every game.  Where exactly do you want to put the excess students?

How about in all of the empty seats around the rest of the arena. Surely you noticed that the top sections were almost completely empty?

The extra students always are put in section one which is general admission. It sucks that our student section is so limited but that's what we are working with, I'm hoping more students go to the Garden games this year because we will need a home court advantage this year especially.

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »
Sec. 3, where I sit, always has overflow students.  They often have to move when the people who hold tickets for those seats actually arrive.  I hate that the lower seats behind the benches are so empty.  It looks terrible on tv.

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
My point of stating we need more students at the games does not only hold for the present time but since I was a student back in the 70's. St J has never had great student support in terms of numbers-I remember having a difficult time convincing friends who were basketball fans and students at St J to come to the games back when we were going to school there. I have never quite understood the apparrent apathy overall of the student body at St J and that goes for all sports there. I have been to football games (when we had ft), soccer, baseball and none of them seem the least bit well supported.