Is the current state of the Big East Conference having a negative on recruiting?

• 10 replies
Maybe these recruits want to be certain who their competition is going to be for the next 4 years and how good will that competion be compared to the other conferences?

Both of Lavin first 2 classes have fallen apart somewhat.  I don't know if it's just plain bad luck or what it is, but we have now lost (4) big-timerecruits in a little over 2 months and that's an awful lot to lose.  That's like losing your entire starting line-up.   Lavin is an outstanding recruiter who is 2nd to nobody else (imo), but his luck even in recruiting has been very bad the past couple of months for various reasons to go along with his medical hardship.  I feel bad for him, because Steve Lavin is a very good man (imo) and the past two months have been down right difficult.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:07:30 AM by Lapchick1 »

MCNPA

Maybe these recruits want to be certain who their competition is going to be for the next 4 years and how good will that competion be compared to the other conferences?

Both of Lavin first 2 classes have fallen apart somewhat.  I don't know if it's just plain bad luck or what it is, but we have now lost (4) big-timerecruits in a little over 2 months and that's an awful lot to lose.  That's like losing your entire starting line-up.   Lavin is an outstanding recruiter who is 2nd to nobody else (imo), but his luck even in recruiting has been very bad the past couple of months for various reasons to go along with his medical hardship.  I feel bad for him, because Steve Lavin is a very good man (imo) and the past two months have been down right difficult.

Consider this.  Even with some of our recent hardships, we still compiled 2 juco AA's and 3 top 60 recruits with another in Amir likely on the way in December.  Sure we need a few more good recruits, but we're still on track to have a phenom roster over the next few years. One or two recruits swinging the right way for us and we're back on track to a loaded roster. 

the negatives are frustrating.

it's like we're in a funk.  ineligible players...then the big east debacle which is ongoing...then another player changing his mind.

after what we've been through, it's hard to see the bright side.

the negatives are frustrating.

it's like we're in a funk.  ineligible players...then the big east debacle which is ongoing...then another player changing his mind.

after what we've been through, it's hard to see the bright side.

I agree

I'm not blaming Lavin at all, but I've never seen anything quite like this in all my years in recruiting (not that many in such a short period of time).  To lose (4) top recruits in two months time is beyond belief.  I appears like this is Murphy's Law at it's best.  I'm sorry I feel that way "but it is what it is".

I don't know where we're going to find 4 recruits in total to replace all of these either ineligible or decommitments.

Gathers thought he would be playing against Syracuse, WVU, Pitt etc. and now he's reading BYU, Boise State, TCU etc.  NOT GOOD for recruiting (imo).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:08:52 AM by Lapchick1 »

Nick K

Hopefully Pelle and Garret resigning today gets us back going in the right direction.

Hopefully the Big East gets going back in the right direction soon. If they can add Boise BYU in football and start a western division the conference will be able to hold together.

It definitely is having a negative effect. The Big East is losing major schools and maybe losing the best basketball conference title. Thats one of the major points in our recruiting. And then there were the rumors that ACC is looking to take MSG, and kids get scared at that.

Gathers thought he would be playing against Syracuse, WVU, Pitt etc. and now he's reading BYU, Boise State, TCU etc.  NOT GOOD for recruiting (imo).

Unless, he was planning on playing football (the Johnnies do not have a football team) then he wasn't gonna have to face Boise State on the hardwood.  Boise State is only participating in the Big East via football.  BYU actually have a pretty decent hoops team.  They are better than some of the Big East basketball teams.  So, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Poison

Unless he has a ten cent head, he doesn't care who SJ is playing under the lights at MSG.

Top recruits are picking Lavin and his staff because of his track record. He gets his players drafted.
If the BE was the main draw here, Norm would have had some recruiting success.

I'm cool with recruiting 2-3 rebounders/shot blockers to round out our class. Yes, Gathers is a loss.
But hey, sometimes, you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield. We lost Doug Wiggins to Uconn, but we gained Maurice Harkless.

We have to remember, that many of these recruits are 2-3 years behind regular people when it comes to maturity. It's easy to say you're committing to a school, and then change your mind like a 16 year old girl at a high school dance. What have you got to lose?

Dont know nuthin bout Gathers.

But the uncertainty over the future cant help. Thats why its best if we go bball-only to have continuity and not this here state-of-flux every five year or so.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

ras

The instability of the BE is probably a factor. There is enough great BB schools in the conference now ,and schools joining the BE will see their BB elevate. The BE needs to right the ship. If Boise state signs and the conference stabilizes this will be a plus. The other side of the coin is if the conference doesnt, a potential recruit may worry what conference he will be playing in 2 years from now.

Marillac

Dont know nuthin bout Gathers.

But the uncertainty over the future cant help. Thats why its best if we go bball-only to have continuity and not this here state-of-flux every five year or so.

Totally agree, Choz.  This has been like a football or basketball game for St. John's...at first we had all the momentum in the world.  Our fanbase started getting a little cocky, every recruit was talking about us...then we threw a pick six and we've been taking it on the chin for a few months...it's been real bad.

But Lavin is back and we can easily regain the momentum fast.  Nothing does that like winning.  Pelle and Garrett signed with Garrett on campus in a month could work wonders.