What do you think of Tony Luftman doing Play by play?

• 4 replies

crgreen

What do you think of Tony Luftman doing Play by play?
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
Weird.  Seems like Tony's been following me everywhere I go.    He was team Manager for UCLA back in the mid 90's.    He did the UCLA-Talk tv and radio shows for two years.  (His Steve Lavin connection).   I'd heard he went to work with Mike Holton (a Lavin assistant) as a broadcaster with the Trailblazers.  Then  I ran into him on campus here at Virginia Tech.   He was the Play by Play announcer for the Hokies womens basketball for two years here.   Now this season, I tune in, and hear "God's Gift, you are a BAD MAN".   

Only weakness I've heard is that he's almost TOO much of a Lavin wonk.... IT's almost like he's back at UCLA voicing the minority opinion of Steve, rather than now among the majority now in St. Johns territory.

Re: What do you think of Tony Luftman doing Play by play?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is he the radio guy or?

Moose

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is he the radio guy or?

Online TV guy.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:44:23 AM »
Weird.  Seems like Tony's been following me everywhere I go.    He was team Manager for UCLA back in the mid 90's.    He did the UCLA-Talk tv and radio shows for two years.  (His Steve Lavin connection).   I'd heard he went to work with Mike Holton (a Lavin assistant) as a broadcaster with the Trailblazers.  Then  I ran into him on campus here at Virginia Tech.   He was the Play by Play announcer for the Hokies womens basketball for two years here.   Now this season, I tune in, and hear

He's awful. He makes Tarik Turner sound like Grantland Rice. I'd rather listen to Dan Dierdorf and TimMcCarver play by play my colonoscopy. I'd rather listen to Ralph Kiner recite tongue twisters. I'd rather listen to Walt Frazier read TS Eliot. Why is he always screaming? He gets more excited every time someone dunks than I do when I have an orgasm. The guy who did the play by play of the Hindenberg Disaster showed more self restraint. Appalling.

"God's Gift, you are a BAD MAN".

The most successful sports catchphase since boom goes the dynamite. He should save it for special occasions, like when he calls greek wrestling matches in the back room at the Mineshaft.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:37 AM »
Weird.  Seems like Tony's been following me everywhere I go.    He was team Manager for UCLA back in the mid 90's.    He did the UCLA-Talk tv and radio shows for two years.  (His Steve Lavin connection).   I'd heard he went to work with Mike Holton (a Lavin assistant) as a broadcaster with the Trailblazers.  Then  I ran into him on campus here at Virginia Tech.   He was the Play by Play announcer for the Hokies womens basketball for two years here.   Now this season, I tune in, and hear "God's Gift, you are a BAD MAN".   

Only weakness I've heard is that he's almost TOO much of a Lavin wonk.... IT's almost like he's back at UCLA voicing the minority opinion of Steve, rather than now among the majority now in St. Johns territory.

What would he say about Ben Howland?