Lavin Plans on Signing Five for 2012

• 27 replies

Marillac

Re: Lavin Plans on Signing Five for 2012
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd say Gathers, Wood, another high school kid, a JUCO combo and a JUCO big...perhaps a Jae Crowder type of undersized pf that plays nasty.

Chilleb

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
Question.. After going on record saying he's gonna sign 5 guys for 2012, if he dosent succeed or all 5 don't qualify how is lavin viewed?

You would like to think he is going to get 5.  Most of the time you don't wanna say something unless you can deliver.

My point exactly, he wouldn't go out on a limb making a quote like that he can't deliver on, especially in the state the program is in right now. so him saying that is Telling me he knows something that we don't and we're in for a couple of nice suprises in the near future. Yes? No?

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 02:32:55 AM »
Question.. After going on record saying he's gonna sign 5 guys for 2012, if he dosent succeed or all 5 don't qualify how is lavin viewed?

You would like to think he is going to get 5.  Most of the time you don't wanna say something unless you can deliver.

My point exactly, he wouldn't go out on a limb making a quote like that he can't deliver on, especially in the state the program is in right now. so him saying that is Telling me he knows something that we don't and we're in for a couple of nice suprises in the near future. Yes? No?

Sounds that way to me.  I never doubt Lavin when it comes to recruiting.  He's had the hardest recruiting job around the last year or so and had a few setbacks yet still has us positioned for a strong team after only 2 recruiting classes If he can get it done in this 2012 class.  I think we're in great hands and have little doubt that we'll be pleasantly surprised with the 2012 class when all is said and done.

LJSA

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 02:37:13 AM »
Regarding Gathers & Sampson. I dont think we get both. They play the same position and are now in the same class. Which ever guy commits first is the guy we will have, after which i suspect the other guy will head elsewhere.

I think the staff will try to sell one of them on the idea of being an undersized center. Or sell each of them on the idea of getting time at both the 4 and 5 during the course of every game.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 03:15:37 AM »
I really hope we can get 5 guys next year. We have some good pieces here, but we need more big bodies and a true point guard or at least someone who can break down the defense and kick out the ball.

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »
Regarding Gathers & Sampson. I dont think we get both. They play the same position and are now in the same class. Which ever guy commits first is the guy we will have, after which i suspect the other guy will head elsewhere.

I think the staff will try to sell one of them on the idea of being an undersized center. Or sell each of them on the idea of getting time at both the 4 and 5 during the course of every game.

I don't think he has to sell either of them as an undersized center.  In case people haven't noticed, we dont have a logjam anywhere on the court at this time.  The two commonly mentioned schools that seem to have creeped in for Jakarr being KU and Baylor have much more depth in sampson's way than we do.  KU already signed at least 3 or 4 forwards this 2012 class.  Gathers will get most of hs time as a PF and some at center interchangeably with Gift.  Jakarr can play SF/PF.  There are greater PT issues at the other schools that Sampson has looked at.

Remember, should we land the "mystery shooter", he would be one of the remaining 5 spots that Lavin is talking about, whether that be for 2011 or 12'.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:49:24 AM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
he wouldn't go out on a limb making a quote like that he can't deliver on, especially in the state the program is in right now. so him saying that is Telling me he knows something that we don't and we're in for a couple of nice suprises in the near future.

Yeah, because coaches never try and put a positive spin on things when they start going south.

Look, Lavin is a bubblehead. He's a good coach, I'm happy to have him, and he's infinitely better than any of the alternatives. His hiring saved the program. But he's a bimbo. Even if he were capable of not talking completely platitudinously - a gift which he had not yet demonstrated - what he says is still all coachspeak nonsense. The captain doesn't admit that the ship be sinking even after the wheelhouse is underwater and once the ship is sunk no one calls him out for his rosy prognostications about the weather because the ship is at the bottom of the ocean and everyone's dead. TGAPL will sign who he signs and it'll be just the five guys he wanted all along and they'll all be all americans until a couple of the pussies transfer, which won't matter because they weren't all that good anyway.

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
Good morning, fun.   :) you and I seem to be the only two posting this morning.  Good mood, as always.