Tex Pan Am game thread

• 155 replies
Re: Tex Pan Am game thread
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
If this team played man to man for 40 min there would be 3 walk ons finishing the game. I thought there was a solid mix of defenses tonight. When Garrett was in they played man to man and then sat back in a 2-3 for a bit too.

I think the guys are starting to look a little more comfortable and hopefully buying into what coaches are telling them to do.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
I didn't see any defense tonight. Dunlap is married to that zone. It's time for a divorce. It's clear that it doesn't suit this group. I'd much rather see them in foul trouble than continue watching us play UES pickup basketball. It was pathetic tonight.

At least Garrett has fight in him on d. Maybe he convince Harrison and Harkless to hustle on d. I didn't see it tonight..

desco80

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »
If this team played man to man for 40 min there would be 3 walk ons finishing the game. I thought there was a solid mix of defenses tonight. When Garrett was in they played man to man and then sat back in a 2-3 for a bit too.

I think the guys are starting to look a little more comfortable and hopefully buying into what coaches are telling them to do.

Do you really think that Dave?   We committed 7 fouls tonight.... not in a half, in the entire game.   And if the guys are saving energy playing in the zone, then they're not playing it right.   

If the staff wants to stay committed to the zone because they feel it's in the long term interest of the team, then that's their call.  But to say we need to play zone out of necessity, just isn't true.   

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

Do you really think that Dave?   We committed 7 fouls tonight.... not in a half, in the entire game.   And if the guys are saving energy playing in the zone, then they're not playing it right.   

If the staff wants to stay committed to the zone because they feel it's in the long term interest of the team, then that's their call.  But to say we need to play zone out of necessity, just isn't true.   

I don't think we need to play man to man for 40 minutes, but I do think we need to switch up the defense more.  Teams are getting too comfortable in our zone, when we stay in it for an extended period.

As for the walk ons, I'd be ok with giving a few minutes to them if needed so we can switch up the defenses.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:32:17 PM by upstate32 »

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »
Game was actually exciting and if it was Texas instead of Pan Am the results would be even more encouraging. Say what you want about Realfan but I saw him at the game tonight and he wasn't there to see Texas Pan AM.

« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »

Now we're getting somewhere. I wouldn't exactly call the zone tight right now. I feel its improving, fouls are dropping, and risks/steal is more efficient. Its a small sample size but rebounding is improving as well. Take these marginal improvements in stride.

M2M will wear this depleted team out. You commit more fouls when you're tired. I think the coaching staff is doing a very good job at balancing energy while offering multiple looks to their opponents. I think in the long haul this will prove to be effective.

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
Game was actually exciting and if it was Texas instead of Pan Am the results would be even more encouraging. Say what you want about Realfan but I saw him at the game tonight and he wasn't there to see Texas Pan AM.

I don't think anyone ever questioned his loyalty. However this is not the place to bring that up. Keep it on the game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
I didn't see any defense tonight. Dunlap is married to that zone. It's time for a divorce. It's clear that it doesn't suit this group. I'd much rather see them in foul trouble than continue watching us play UES pickup basketball. It was pathetic tonight.

At least Garrett has fight in him on d. Maybe he convince Harrison and Harkless to hustle on d. I didn't see it tonight..

I believe many were saying the same thing last year. It took some time but the team improved as the season went along, and that was with an experienced team. The zone is Dunlap's bread and butter, thus it will be our primary base defense. The only way our young team will learn it is by playing it. We will have our lumps along the way, but they will all be learning experiences and it will make them better down the road. As much as some of you may not like to hear it, we are playing this year for next year.

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »
Gift had their "center" dead any time he moved to the hoop, he has to work on his dribble drives but tonight he did really well other than missing a couple of bunnies.

Harrison had one of his better shooting games (7-13, 3-6) and was clutch. I can see him leading this team down the stretch.

Moe did not play very well, we went 10+ minutes without a basket and still won. And I mean what can be said about Dom drawing that foul at the end, huge play, won't show up in the box score but dude is a great defender. You can say a lot of things about the zone and how we tend to make every teams shooting guard look like Reggie Miller but we have been doing this. Even last years team had this problem.

It shouldn't have been this hard to get the win but I'll take it. Hopefully this can lift the team as they have a tough task against PC on Tuesday. Give Garrett some time and I'm sure he will be contributing a lot too.

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:38 AM »
One thing, would it be too much to ask to have the entire crowd stand up and cheer during our last defensive stand up by 3? 

« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2011, 02:15:15 AM »
Also, Gift has a really ugly yet fairly effective mid-range jumper, even knocking down a 3 tonight.  If he keeps making those shots it will help him a lot because more and more guys will bite on his pump fakes and he loves that pump fake/drive move.  He was really a beast today, a few times grabbing multiple offensive boards before putting it in.

MCNPA

« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2011, 02:56:58 AM »
People can criticize Gift but he is averaging 12.3 ppg and 7.4rpg to go along with 57% from the field and 74% from the stripe.  Those are excellent numbers no matter how many ways you cut them, especially for a first year JC transfer.  If we can add another stud PF/C or so, we will be rocking with next year with Gift, Mo and whomever that third guy might be.  Gift and Moe are real weapons in the frontcourt.  For a guy that dribbles off his foot occasionally, he catches more slack and less accolades than he deserves.  Imagine how good his numbers be if he didn't have a few "quiet" games earlier on.   I remember a lot of people writing him off, but the guy is almost a doubl-double machine already and that includes against teams like UK.  People said he came to play today, but his numbers say he's been coming to play almost every game. 

We have some growing pains this season, yet many don't realize how really close we are with a few more players and a season of experience under our belts.   This core of players is excellent and well chosen by the staff.  I think we're better without Lindsey in the long run, but not this season.  I don't think he was a long-run type of kid anyway.  Greene learning on the job and settling into it well.  Lots of promise here.  A win is a win.  We've lost to teams like this in many a spectacular fashion in prior years under Norm and Jarvis with a lot more scholarship players on the roster.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:01:17 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
I have never seen a team less prepared for the BE than this one.

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
maybe the biggest play of the game IMO is the 10 second backcourt violation that garrett drew. We had just came up empty on the Offensive end and then we got the ball back when we needed it most.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

Now we're getting somewhere. I wouldn't exactly call the zone tight right now. I feel its improving, fouls are dropping, and risks/steal is more efficient. Its a small sample size but rebounding is improving as well. Take these marginal improvements in stride.

M2M will wear this depleted team out. You commit more fouls when you're tired. I think the coaching staff is doing a very good job at balancing energy while offering multiple looks to their opponents. I think in the long haul this will prove to be effective.

With all the rotations that are required in this zone...its not like players get to rest.  And when they do that's when teams get wide open 3s.  Coaches need to mix in man-to-man with the zone a lot more often. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Good stops down the stretch.  Wasnt looking good down 4 with 2:30 left but we didnt allow them to score.

Great games from D and GG.  They really carried it offensively the whole second half.
They seem to have two gears on defense but even when they amp it up they give up good shots late in the possession.  That heavy guy #13 hurt us just by standing by the free throw line and waiting for the dish.  If Moe would just do that he'd score 25 per.  With Garrett we finally had the image of some depth.  He is long and a good match with Sir Dom.  I was amazed how well he fit in and how many minutes he played.  Good stuff as long as he doesn't pull anything.  Greene is fitting in better each game.  A great pickup.