Dick Vitale's preseason #31-40

• 17 replies
Dick Vitale's preseason #31-40
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »
I don't know how you can reasonablly predict ANYTHING (good or bad) regarding this year's team, but, read it and smile:

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/6764970/dick-vitale-preseason-top-40-31-40

Re: Dick Vitale's preseason #31-40
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Notre Dame top 40? Wow, should be a few more Big East teams in there if thats the case.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
You're probably looking at 8/9/10 BE teams in his ranking or maybe even 9/10/11 depending on what he thinks of GTown.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
You're probably looking at 8/9/10 BE teams in his ranking or maybe even 9/10/11 depending on what he thinks of GTown.

I have Notre Dame finishing 12th in the Big East

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=5777.0

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
I don't think Dickie V pays much mind to your rankings and I tend to ignore both of you.  ; )

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
I don't think Dickie V pays much mind to your rankings and I tend to ignore both of you.  ; )

The way Dickie V is ranking top 40's nowadays, he'd be better off checking with me first. ;) At least he doesnt have Purdue in the top 10. In the preseason rankings, Purdue and Georgetown always seem to be in the top 10
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:17:34 PM by Marco Baldi »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »

I have Notre Dame finishing 12th in the Big East

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=5777.0

Tim Abromaitis is coming back...one of the best players in the conference.  They also have Martin back as a starter, a 10 and 5 guy, and their freshman pg from last year, Atkins, that looked awesome at times and started six games on a veteran filled roster.  They might be the biggest team in the conference with a host of bigs that are ready to take off now, and something like nine players returning.  Not to mention freshman Pat Connaughton coming in who will be ready to play from day one.  Cooley sat behind Abromatis and Harongody as a freshman and then behind Ambromitas, Scott, Nash, and Martin last year.  Those are a lot of talented forwards. To pick them for 12th...that is just He Was A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=related

ND will be very solid, if not very good. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:36:19 PM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Marillac-

They bring back Abromitis.  And Atkins at the PG.  They don't have a very highly ranked class coming in.  They lost a lot.  I know we lost a lot but we're bringing in talent.  They aren't bringing in much at all.  I think your letting your Irish heritage cloud your expecatations :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
Marillac-

They bring back Abromitis.  And Atkins at the PG.  They don't have a very highly ranked class coming in.  They lost a lot.  I know we lost a lot but we're bringing in talent.  They aren't bringing in much at all.  I think your letting your Irish heritage cloud your expecatations :)

I expect Atkins to be very good for them this year.  Abromaitis will be a first or second team all-Big East player and Martin is a 10 and 5 guy that started every game for them last year.  I think Cooley will take off this year too.  As I said in the post above--which I was modifying while you replied--Cooley sat behind some pretty awesome talent his first two years.  Abromatis only averaged 1.7 ppg his redshirt soph season before blowing up the following year. 

Under Brey, ND just reloads.  They never bring in stellar classes, but they have guys that get better all four years.  They will be absolutely HUGE and they can all shoot and pass.  Atkins will be better tan Tory Jackson IMO and with him running point I see no reason why this can't be a typical Brey-coached ND squad.  This is a tournament team IMO.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Notre Dame doesn't need a hot class.

Cooley's stats in limited time show that he might just be really ready to shine. Brey was obviously getting Dragicevich's feet wet as well. Joey Brooks will be his Russell Carter - awesome at times, frustrating at times. And Atkins can play. Plus, Brey can teach offense and ball sharing.

They will at least be knocking on the NCAA Tournament door.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »

Cooley's stats in limited time show that he might just be really ready to shine. Brey was obviously getting Dragicevich's feet wet as well. Joey Brooks will be his Russell Carter - awesome at times, frustrating at times. And Atkins can play. Plus, Brey can teach offense and ball sharing.

I know your in the midwest and probably saw and read more than I did.  But I saw nothing from Cooley or Drago.  Atkins held his own for a frosh no question.  But its gonna be Tim's team and D's will be keying on him.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

I know your in the midwest and probably saw and read more than I did.  But I saw nothing from Cooley or Drago.  Atkins held his own for a frosh no question.  But its gonna be Tim's team and D's will be keying on him.

To me, Cooley has the strongest base  in the conference...he just moves people out of the post like a dumptruck.  He does a good job keeping his man on his hip which allows him to not really jump for rebounds.  He does a good job making himself available after setting a monster screen.   He also shot 65% from the field. If he isn't in double figures this season, I'd be very shocked.  Him and Atkins will be a deadly pick and roll tandem.  The biggest loss to the team isn't Hansbrough or Nash IMO, it's Carleton Scott and his length and athleticism. 

I think the only player on the roster shorter than 6'6 is Atkins.  I just don't see how this isn't a top 25-30 team. For Baldi to predict them to come in 12th in the conference is just foolish.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »

To me, Cooley has the strongest base  in the conference...he just moves people out of the post like a dumptruck.  He does a good job keeping his man on his hip which allows him to not really jump for rebounds.  He does a good job making himself available after setting a monster screen.   He also shot 65% from the field. If he isn't in double figures this season, I'd be very shocked.  Him and Atkins will be a deadly pick and roll tandem.  The biggest loss to the team isn't Hansbrough or Nash IMO, it's Carleton Scott and his length and athleticism. 

I think the only player on the roster shorter than 6'6 is Atkins.  I just don't see how this isn't a top 25-30 team. For Baldi to predict them to come in 12th in the conference is just foolish.

This Marillac guy seems to be a good guesser.  Cooley is averaging double-figures (11 and 8.6), Atkins has been awesome, ND is #3 in the Big East and #26 in both polls. They've got  Depaul, Providence, and Rutgers left at home and playing @STJ and @Nova.  That has 4-1 written all over it.  All this after Abromatis went down for the year after two games.  Coach of the Year honors for Brey?

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »

This Marillac guy seems to be a good guesser.  Cooley is averaging double-figures (11 and 8.6), Atkins has been awesome, ND is #3 in the Big East and #26 in both polls. They've got  Depaul, Providence, and Rutgers left at home and playing @STJ and @Nova.  That has 4-1 written all over it.  All this after Abromatis went down for the year after two games.  Coach of the Year honors for Brey?

I'm still upset he won it over Lavin last year

Moose

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »

Least you admit your just 'guessing' :)

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Iona should be up there.  Oh wait, theyre losing by like 30 to none other than powerhouse Loyola with about 10 minutes to go... The superstar backcourt getting owned it there... ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:33:12 PM by MCNPA »

Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

Only if you promise not to hurt yourself posting negatively.  I only commented on this because I am tired of the doom and gloom with our team.  These kids are going to be fantastic...I make a lot predictions and the overwhelming amount are right on the money.  Our team will be a Sweet 16 team next year...hopefully the refresher about the last time I caught heat for predicting a team's success will dissuade a few posters from making recruits think twice about coming here.