Battle for minutes at the wing positions.

• 37 replies

Moose

Re: Battle for minutes at the wing positions.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
Well, it looks like we might finally have the recruiting class wrapped up.   Although Wood and Chandler are still on the radar... I think we can rejuvenate this  thread because we finally have an idea of what the roster will look like.

So do you guys think Obekpa automatically jumps into the starting lineup as our "5" ? 
I tend to think he'll be penciled in as the starting center, but will certainly have to earn it in the fall.   

I wouldn't be shocked if coach starts the season with a "small" lineup of something like:  Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, D'angelo, and Phil. 
 Or even Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, Dom, and D'angelo.

But.. my point being, does Chris O automatically get put into the starting 5 ??   I tend to think he might get in there by the conference play, but he'll have some learning to do first.

I would say no. Chris O will not be our starting center on opening night.

I agree with this.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
The small lineup referenced by Desco makes sense to me.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »

Thats my guess as well. Sir Dom and Chris bring the D of the pine
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »

All I know is, SJU should start selling tickets to the team's practice sessions, because I really want to see our team go at each other! 

desco80

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »

All I know is, SJU should start selling tickets to the team's practice sessions, because I really want to see our team go at each other!

Amen!   Imagine how hard it must have been last season running a practice when you can't risk having guys play hard because they might sprain an ankle, and you wouldn't have 5 guys to start the freakin' game. 

Practices should be intense.   And I wouldnt be surprised if the lineup changes from game to game in the beginning depending on who's really performing in practice.    Would not be surprised at all if guys like Felix or Marco find more minutes than expected by impressing the coaches.

Ahh ..  the benefits of a full roster!    :coolsmiley:

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »

Agree unless Branch pushes Phil out of the starting lineup through pure PG play.  Some here must be privy to internal discussions on how Branch performed in practice in the 2nd semester and how he compared to Phil head to head.  Anyone willing to share?

DFF6

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »

Agree unless Branch pushes Phil out of the starting lineup through pure PG play.  Some here must be privy to internal discussions on how Branch performed in practice in the 2nd semester and how he compared to Phil head to head.  Anyone willing to share?

Even if Branch killed it, he won't be playing until after December.

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
O

Even if Branch killed it, he won't be playing until after December.

Of course. 

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
Prior to Branch becoming eligible, and ill assume we dont have wood, I see..

Phil at the point, and only the point. 25-30 a game
Deangelo at the 2 and backing up the point 30+ min a game
Amir at the 3 and some at the 4  20-25 a game
Jakarr at the 4 and 5  30 min a game
Sanchez at the 4 and 5 25-30 a game

pointer at the 2-4 20-25 a game
bourgoult at the 2-3 15 a game
gift at the 4-5 20-25 a game
balamou at the 2-3 5-10 a game

When branch becomes eligible I see him getting around 25 minutes with everyone aside from Deangelo and Jakarr losing minutes

If GG is playing 20-25 mpg we are in deep trouble.  Before Branch is ready--and assuming Wood isn't eligible--I think the trio of Harrison, Greene, and Garrett will hardly leave the floor--with Dom just a few minutes behind.  I see Sanchez and Sampson around 20 mpg a piece for the first few months, with a litle more to the player that shows an understanding of the zone first.  GG needs to be no more than 10 to 15 mpg after the first month of the season.  I'm interested in seeing if Bourgault can play some four in the zone.  That would really make us dangerous on the other end. 

Wood's eligibility mixes things up quite a bit.   

Marco playing 4 in the zone????
Oy vey.

He played forward in Monroe's 2-3 zone. Not very different in terms of defensive responsiblity if you think about it.  He's about the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer, and Garrett. 

Sorry man but if he's playing minutes at our 4 in the zone or whatever we're in trouble.
And while he's listed at 6'6 how can you say he's the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer and Amir?  Gotta see them all on the court next to eachother to make that kind of determination.  The two complete games I saw and minimal other video show Marco playing a 'smaller' game than any of those 4 mention and also comparative to his height.

We'll never see them all on the floor, so we'll have to take the listed heights.  I don't think anyone is actually their listed height...Brownlee looked 6'5 to most on this board.  Polee was listed at 6'7 and he was 18 years old and started at 190 pounds.  Bourgault is already 22,  has a year of prep and two years of college, he's heavier and he's played down low in a 2-3 zone. 

I'm not saying he can definitely do it, but against smaller teams maybe he can?  There is almost no difference between the three and four spots in a 2-3 zone and  you have the same kind of range in our matchup. 

Brownlee looked 6'5?
Can I get a straw poll going on this :)

There hasn't been a difference with that zone in the past but now we have some damn length for the first time in a while.  Sorry but I'd rather see Orlando, Karr, Amir and Chandler hopefully manning the bottom three spots.

Brownlee and DJ were the same height but Justin played bigger.  Polee may have had a half inch on both but he was nowhere near the 6'8" originally reported.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
If we open with a cup cake Gift can start at center. Obekpa can be brought along slowly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:53:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
Believe branch becomes eligible Dec 16.

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
+1

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:51 AM »
FWIW Gift played 30 mins or more in 15 of the first 19 games last year.  1 out of the last 13.  He averaged 24 mins per game over that span.  Those numbers are going to go down further with the new found depth.  Jakarr will get most of Moe's minutes with Sanchez getting the balance and some of Gifts.  And that's not counting another big man joining the roster.  He can still make a contribution at 15-18 mins per game and will certainly be a valuable player next year.

Two words why Gift's minute fell:  Amir Garrett.  I'll tell you right now, Gift v. Amir for a rebound and my money is on Amir every time.

derk

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »

No real secret. It was discussed at the time that the time line of Phil's improvement intersected with Branch's availability to practice with the team.

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

No real secret. It was discussed at the time that the time line of Phil's improvement intersected with Branch's availability to practice with the team.

I'm not asking about Phil's improvement.  I'm asking about Branch and how he looked in practice last season, we hear all the time how Harrow was eating Teague's lunch at Kentucky practices for example.  All I've read about Branch is what he's capable of.  Your comment is indicative of what was stated and tells me nothing, which may be all that's available. 

sju89tr

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
By the time Big East play rolls around Gift will be getting 15-18 minutes a game max and Obekpa will be getting the same. The other 10 minutes will be going to Sanchez and Sampson when we play small thus no need for an extra 4/5 on the court.     

desco80

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
By the time Big East play rolls around Gift will be getting 15-18 minutes a game max and Obekpa will be getting the same. The other 10 minutes will be going to Sanchez and Sampson when we play small thus no need for an extra 4/5 on the court.     

+1   Agree completely.   Gift may play a little more early on, as Obekpa learns the ropes... but come conference play the job is his, plus we'll use a smaller lineup a lot like you indicated.   Really interested to see how Sanchez fits.   It's been said about nearly every player .. but he could be a key to our success next year. 

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
+2 Great minds think alike! :)