can this league still attract recruits?

• 16 replies
can this league still attract recruits?
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
looking at rivals 2013 listing, and only memphis has commitments from top forty recruits so far.  and nobody in the top twenty.  i'm just wondering if this is the new normal.  by contrast, the sec has six in the top twenty.

Re: can this league still attract recruits?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Its only october.... According to ESPN the big east has 3 top 40 (2 Memphis, 1 Marquette) with only about half of the top 40 committed. Besides there are many more great players besides a top 40 list on a recruiting website, the big east still sells itself

ras

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Nice to see Memphis get the 2 highly ranked recruits. They will be a nice addition to the BE.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
We play in NY. It doesn't f'n matter what league we play in, and who plays in it. As long as Lavin is our coach, we'll be golden. Let the traitors walk. F them all.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
St. John's ALONE has interest from 4 of the best recruits of the class of 2013. Trust in Lav, we will be golden.

redslope

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Would Memphis have 2 top 49 recruits without the BE???

may not be as bad as you think.  Need to get that new TV contract signed.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Were doomed
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »

Memphis landed Derrick Rose. The best recruit in a decade. And they got him while playing in a conference where they were the only good team. The coach is more important than the conference.

TQ

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

Memphis landed Derrick Rose. The best recruit in a decade. And they got him while playing in a conference where they were the only good team. The coach is more important than the conference.

in that case it was the coaches wallet that was most important.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

You think Derrick rose is the best recruit in the last decade?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »

As good as anyone.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »

As good as anyone.

Can't argue against him being up there. I know I'd put Durant ahead of him for sure. Probably a few others
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

As good as anyone.

Can't argue against him being up there. I know I'd put Durant ahead of him for sure. Probably a few others

Great stats.  Great player.   But "the best recruit of the decade should have gotten his team more than a 2nd round loss to Southern California.  Don't think he has to win you a national championship, but a Final Four at least would be a requisite for my vote.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
This is a debate no one should win. The point I was trying to make is that a poor high major conference doesn't automatically equal lesser talent in recruits. Lavin trumps a weaker BE. Coach over conference IMO

gman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
looking at rivals 2013 listing, and only memphis has commitments from top forty recruits so far.  and nobody in the top twenty.  i'm just wondering if this is the new normal.  by contrast, the sec has six in the top twenty.

Pac 10 - 2 top 40 recruits.
Big Ten - 1 top 40 recruits.

All three leagues should just give up at this point.   ::)

desco80

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
The league's going to be very competitive, with a lot of top 25 teams every year.   What we may lose out on is the occasional season when Pitt, Cuse, or UCONN (for other reasons) would have everything clicking and be a top 5 team.   

If you're going to look at recruiting rankings, go back the last 5 or 6 years... how many future Big East teams had top 10 classes?   Us last year, Georgetown 4 years ago when they grabbed Monroe, Sims, Clark; 'Nova 2 seasons ago with Cheek and Wayans etc, Memphis with Barton and Jackson, and Louisville last year.   I think that's it.    I don't count Providence with no Ledo.   

So I think what we may lose is the outlier team... the year one of the departing schools broke through.   But those loses also open up opportunities, so who's to say someone else won't step up.   By the way, just losing WVU this year was a bigger blow than people realize.... Huggie has had a damn good run there and Belien before him.   Can't replace these programs over night, but it won't be a huge dropoff in my opinion. 

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
I think after last season you probably need to put Davis No. 1, but I think I'd have Rose at No. 2.